The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we've been hit by a swarm of nasty flies. seems like some maggots grew on garbage in the garage (hubby missed garbage day one week :rolleyes: )
i sprayed about half of them in the garage but some managed to fly in the house as soon as we opened the door.
im swatting now as i type :funny:
okee so upstairs in the aquarium room theres 3 flies zipping around the reef tanks under the pc lighting. now if they land in the water over night will they cause harm to the fish or my system?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Dont know about salt tanks but my dempsey loves em. Then again he eats anything. Should have named him Mikey instead of Jack. Ya'll remember the Mikey commercials?

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jena nice to see another cichlid owner :thumbup:

i need one of those hanging fly tapes lol

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yep meet Jack. He's my 8 inch mammoth. If it weren't for him the freshtank would be history. I had african cichlids but when one matured he got ugly and killed everything in the tank so I got Jack instead.

Attachments

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jena hes beautiful! what a great face
i cant wait until mine is full grown, hes just about 5" now. heres a pic of him when he was about 3.5" his name is Eli, next to him is Bubba the convict :D

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Great Colors! I'm on the lookout for another female. Havn't found one big enough I feel comfortable putting in the tank.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah its hard to find larger cichlids. im looking for an 8" + oscar, havent come across any yet. my big oscar committed suicide a few weeks back.
if i add anything smaller than 8" it will be killed by the "crew"

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Try running an add in paper, I know here people are always dropping them off at the LFS. It's gotten to where they won't take them any more. I had an albino and regular tiger that I gave to my Dad. They just got too big for the 55 I have. He has a 300 gallon tank they are much happier.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah thats what im waiting for a petshop drop off hehe
i saw a huge jack at that petplace a few months ago, it was def a male though. someone must have dropped him off too. ill make some lfs phone calls every now and then but so far no luck.
the one thing i notice without my oscar, the filters are alot cleaner. they must be the messiest eaters on earth :)
i got all my cichlids in a 220 gallon mixed with some tinfoil barbs, silver dollars and 4 very lucky tiger barbs :funny:
the tank was covered and still my oscar managed to get out :(
hubby wanted to mount him on the wall but he was all crispy lol..surprisingly he didnt smell :nuts:

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
They are so solid. Mine hit the lid a couple of times after feeding, it always worried me he would hit it hard enough to open it. Yep all of the ones here have been male too.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
jenajet said:
Dont know about salt tanks but my dempsey loves em. Then again he eats anything. Should have named him Mikey instead of Jack. Ya'll remember the Mikey commercials?

LOL! Your showing your age!!!!;)
Brent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts