The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a grad student here at the University of Georgia who is doing his thesis on those pesky little flatworms that pop up in our tanks. He's usually in my shop snooping around for some to collect but (thankfully) we don't have very many. If anyone has a bad outbreak of them and would like to further some research on them his email address is: [email protected]

Glenn

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Heh you're about 6 weeks too late. I had millions of them :(

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He said that they don't ship well. So it would invovle him coming to your house or where ever your tank may be. It would probably only be worth it to him if someone had a massive outbreak.

Glenn

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I had a pretty healthy infestation at one time.

A six-line wrasse took care of my problem. It took around 6 months for the wrasse to totally rid my tank of the flatworms and I've herd that the six-line can be sort of hit or miss as to weather they will eat flatworms or not. I guess I got lucky but then again not feeding the tank too often made the six-line just a little hungry.

Charles

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I used Salifert Flatworm Exit. Unfortunately, I also had some residual poisoning of my fish, from the dead flatworms (I don't believe the chemical hurt the fish).

There is a lengthy thread about my experiences entitled "Flatworm eXit: so far so good" in the General Reefkeeping Discussion here. Glenn, if you do a search of posts in my name, you'll find it.

If at all possible, remove fish prior to treating a tank with them -- but the eXit worked great on the flatworms, annoyed the corals a bit, but the fish are the ones that seem to suffer from the effects of insane amounts of dead flatworms excreting their body juices.

It was carnage.

Jenn

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Greenex treatment worked just fine for me. It was a stock coral tank with only two fish in it. No visible signs of stress from any one. And all the flatworms were gone afterwards. The sixline has kept them in check since.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i have some in my frag tank, not a lot but should be able to round him up a few hundred. have him email me. is Dr Gratsic still teaching at uga ?

alan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.