The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed over the last few days that i have a good group of tiny red flatworms in my refugium. From what i can see they are mostly forming on the glass. I have not seen any in the chaeto or sand.

Are these types good or bad. I do have 6 line, scooter blenny, and blue mandarin in display tank and have not seen anything in there so i am under the assumption my cleaners are taking good care of them once they get loose from fuge.

I can easily invest in a 6 line for my fuge to keep them under control. Just wonder if they are good then i'm not going to bother and leave them be for the food chain.
Attaching a few pictures.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
Well...to me...they are all the same...bad. While most flatworms on not predatory they can cause water quality issues (and are usually a result of such issues). They breed like crazy. They can get on your corals and occlude light from getting to them etc. Unlike beneficial worms I always recommend getting rid of flatworms.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am fairly certain they came about from water quality problems. i had to heavily overfeed my tank for 2 weeks to revive a red flowerpot. I overloaded phosphates and had an algae bloom. That is back under control now. I will probably invest in a refugium 6-line and i'm sure he will have a blast be super fed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts