The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed last night, that we seem to have a rising population of flatworms, not so much in the main tank (20H), but lots in the HOB refugium.

I know our sixline wrasse eats them, but she had to move out of the 20H into a 10G, because she wants to kill every living thing in the tank.

Any ideas how to deal with those darn things? I've siphoned out a bunch, but the fuge is hard to access, so I *know* I'm missing tons of them.

If I get another sixline, and introduce it into the 20H, with an occelaris clown, a red headed goby and 2 peppermint shrimp, is there a chance it won't turn into a battleground?

Or should I just hope the flatworm population won't keep growing, and keep sucking them out when I can?

I'm not too fond of using something like flatworm exit, or other chemicals, since everything is doing so well, otherwise...

Susanne

PS: I just saw the thread about flatworms at a certain LFS, and we did buy a few snails there a few months back:eek:

·
Coral Master
3,990 Posts
LOL I didnt read that you werent fond of It lol.. Sorry other than that I know of no way other than what you are doing to get rid of them..

Sorry,
James

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Susanne

I have had to use the Exit for our FW problem. Just keep doing what you are doing, but if it gets in to the main tank - sorry to say that it probably has, exit will work. The problem is that when the worms die they release the toxin in their body that kills things. You will need a canister type filter, carbon and water for a water change. But since it's just in your HOB can you take it down and clean it out??

good luck :rolleyes:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've just heard bad things about the exit (killing inverts?).

I'm sure they are already in the main tank (have seen a few), but there are many in the fuge.

I may try a sixline wrasse again, and hope it's not as aggressive as out first one, that's now in solitary confinement.

We could probably disconnect the fuge, and clean it out, but it would be a PITA!

And everything is going so nicely, with no nitrates whatsoever.

But then, nitrates are at zero in the 10G, too, which only has a HOB filter, no skimmer...

Susanne

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Our tank is a mixed with roses both green and rose, sps, monti digita's, cap's, leathers, zoos, shrooms, snails ect. Did not loose anything - you have to siphon all that you can out, just after you apply the Exit, you have to use carbon to get the toxins out. Other than that , I had to use it twice to have it work properly. And I use it for a dip from my trades, before I put anything into the tank.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know who carries the Exit here in Eugene?

If things get worse, I may try it.

Do you siphon out as many as you can, before dosing, to minimize the toxins from the die off?
And to all of you who used it, did all your shrimp survive, or did you have deaths shortly after?

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
siskiou said:
Does anyone know who carries the Exit here in Eugene?

Maybe Ryan @ Advance Aquarium but not sure - he is in Salem. But as always the price is better online except for the shipping.

If things get worse, I may try it.

Do you siphon out as many as you can, before dosing, to minimize the toxins from the die off?

Yes, you siphon out as much as possible - the directions are on the bottle. It will treat 150 gals. So this will last you a little while.

And to all of you who used it, did all your shrimp survive, or did you have deaths shortly after?

No shrimp

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
if you can see them crawling around you already have too many for one six line to bring under control. as much as a pita as it is you need to remove and clean your hob asap, even days will allow them to infest the main to unbelievable levels.

i got exit at woody's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts