The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have four recently acquired small yellow wrasses (Halichoeres chrysus) in a 20 gallon quarantine tank. They are all occassionally flashing on some PVC pipes and plastic artificial coral I put in for them. I haven't seen any visible ich or other lesions on them, yet, with the exception that one of them appears to have a swollen upper "lip", and another looks to have both the upper and lower "lips" swollen. They will occassionally make erratic jerks, like something's irritating them, but otherwise appear OK. Not breathing rapidly. They are eating some frozen meaty foods, which I am soaking in Kents Garlic Xtreme.

My questions:
1. Anyone know what the swollen lips could be?
2. Even though I haven't seen any ich spots on them, should I assume thats what it is and start treating?
3. If I do treat for ich, I would probably use hyposalinity (1.009 to 1.010 SG at 80 degrees F) for 4 weeks. QT tank currently at 1.024. How slow should I bring the SG down, and how fast can I bring it back up on completion?

Thanks in advance for the help. **** glad I put them in quarantine!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the same species of yellow wrasse. I have the same experience with the flashing, except for the swollen lip. I've had the wrasse for approximately 3 months, seems to be in perfect health - loves to eat and hunt for pods. No signs of ich. Here is some examples of this behavior I have noticed:

Sometimes he will flash up against a rock.
Sometimes he will flash up against the sand and then look over the sand cloud real well (I'm convinced he is hunting when he does this)
Sometimes he seems to flash and swim around another fish (seems to be aggressive behaviour).
Finally, sometimes he will flash in the middle of the water column, not sure why.

So, maybe some of the flashing is just behavioral and perhaps sometimes he is itchy. I've always wondered if he is more prone to itchiness since he buries himself in the sand every night? Perhaps you might want to hold off on treating for ich and see how thing go for a few days.

Very cool fish, one of my favorites.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input aquadude. I guess some of the flashing might be behavioral, but it sure looks like somethings irritating them. Still don't see white ich spots yet. I'll continue to watch that for another day or two.

The swollen lips have got me stumped though. I've wondered about mouth fungus, but don't see anything white on the lips. Could it be mechanical trauma from shipment (I got them mailorder) or from diving into the sand bed at night? Anything else I'm missing?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today I saw the first ich spot on the tail of one of the fish. So I think that explains the flashing. And when I look closely at the swollen lips, some have a little bit of a fuzzy white appearence, so I'm thinking that's "mouth fungus" which according to what I read on another site is actually a bacterium (flavobacterium I think). That site recommended Marcyn II for the mouth fungus, so I've begun treatment for that, plan on a 5 day course of Maracyn II.

Still debating on whether to treat for the ich after that, with hyposalinity, or to see if the fish can fight it off on their own with good water quality and good quality food soaked in garlic. Any body have any advice on whether or not i should treat for ich?

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
It's very easy to get a full blown ich outbreak in a Q tank. Lots of hard surfaces for the ich larvae cysts to attach to and typically, Q tanks don't have near the flow and water turn over as in a display tank. I'd do frequent water changes in the Q tank (if you're not already) and scrape down the glass with a razor blade to help remove any ich cysts that have attached there. You can get up to 200 free swimming ich larvae out of one cyst. I think I'd start the hypo, just to be on the safe side if you're seeing ich now. Do a search here on TRT and on the web for hypo treatment. TerryB (TerryB10 here on TRT, I believe) gives the correct info on hypo salinity...there's a lot of myth-info out there on it.

Alice

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Alice, I think I wiil do the hyposalinity treatment. I have a refractometer and plenty of aerated RO/DI water, so I should be good to go. Should I wait to finish the 5 day course of Maracyn II, or can I do hyposalinity and Maracyn II at the same time? I figured I should be able to do the two together, but the package insert in the Maracyn II says something to the effect of not changing the properties of the aquarium water , such as temperature or pH during treatment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts