The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
originally original
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an extremely clean but somewhat sparse 100gal reef tank, my livestock so far is:

15 asst. hermits
10 periwinkle snails
40+ 0.5" to 1.5" feeder shrimp
3 striped damsels
1 Royal Gamma Basslet
1 False percula
20 or so random asst crabs and snails
1 Condi Anem

I don't have much live rock, would the Hawkfish be a problem?

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
As long as you don't have your heart set on the feeder shrimp. The hawk may make a meal of them. I've kept mine successfully with a cleaner shrimp, but I can only imagine smaller feeder shrimp would be much more enticing. Otherwise, it may make a great addition. They're very personable (though can be somewhat aggressive).

·
originally original
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured he'd eat the shrimp, but seeing as I've figured out how to catch them by the thousands for free, no biggie :dance: I love living near the sea

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
And it also depends on how little rock you have.if you don't have enough then you'll have ammonia in the water.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
I've had one in my tank for 3 yrs now and the only problem is that it is pretty agresssive. It can be tough on new fish you add after the Hawk has been there a while. Also, they are perching fish, they don't swim around much. So even though they are attractive they don't add much to the 'activity' of the tank.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Until you feed, and then they zoom around the tank pretty quick. ;) But in general, they do hang around waiting for something to swim by.

·
originally original
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, the hawk is on hold, I caught something better in my nets today...

I'll post when my camera charges, we'll see if you guys can ID these beauties :)

I also caught a tiny baby flounder, maybe 1" long tops, he's so cool, too bad he doesn't photograph well. He'll be in the tank until he reaches about 4" and becomes ravenous.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Then what are you going to do with it? It's rather illegal to reintroduce a creature back into the wild setting, as you've contaminated it with creatures from all over the world. Think twice about keeping something that for which you don't have long term care established.

·
originally original
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, they are delicious when stuffed with mayo and blue cheese

·
originally original
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
word, you see my ID thread yet?

·
originally original
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, they look a little like my basslet too, who knows?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts