various hermits/snails
peppermint shrimp
mushrooms
zoas
2 false percula clowns
1 green mandarine
1 royal gramma
1inch blue tang currently in quarantine

i really want a flame hawk but i have heard that they will eat a lot of inhabitants like shrimp/snails/hermits. Is there any truth to this. If any of you have any tell me the good things/bad things about them. Thanks.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I'm not Tim and I don't play him on TV :lol:

Great fish - coral safe but *may* be a risk to your shrimp and hermits. Some dine on them, some don't. If the fish is small, and the shrimp are large, and the shrimp were there first, you may be OK.

Jenn

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it worth the risk, or are they gonna be a pain...

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,717 Posts
They are very cool fish, but there is a risk. I keep almost getting one,... I still might, they are a real centerpeice fish because of how they act and interact with people, they keep their eye on you. If you do get one, spend some time with it at the store and pick one that responds well to you, and things outside the tank.

Whiskey

·
Registered
396 Posts
they are one of the most "interactive" fish out there.. always watching you and following you. However, there is a risk with shrimp but it depends on the individual. Mine wont let a shrimp make it to the bottom if i dropped one in, but tim's gets along fine with his shrimp, really a hit or miss with these fish

·
B'rer Reefer
91 Posts
Mine will not touch hermits but will eat any shrimp I try to place in the tank. Given the choice, I'd take the Flame Hawks any day (I have two). Very personable and quite interesting to observe...as I'm sure they'd say the same about us, given their behavior.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so i guess the positives outweigh the negatives. ill look into getting one sometime next month (just got a mandarine, wanna give some time for my tank to catch up)...thanks for all the info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts