The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I know these fish are 50/50 for being reef safe, but what will the fish try to eat if it decides to be a naughty fishy? Don't have one in my tank yet but a LFS has them for a VERY good price and I am getting very tempted.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I had one and he bothered nothing in my tank. I think if you keep him well fed he wont be a problem but you nitrates might.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Mine picked on everything LPS fleshy: like open brains, flower pot corals, etc

He was good for about a year and the changed to a coral eater!

·
Registered
430 Posts
yeah - it's risky.. I think Coral Beauty's are the least risky dwarf angels for a reef tank.. from what I have read of others experiences with them.. too bad their not bright red and orange. ;) if you get a good one they can be very pretty though. :)

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
oh I hear ya! I'd just love to have one, but I'd be so sad if it started in on my zoos and other growy things...
are the bicolored pygmys nippers as well? You know, those blue and yellow ones...

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
xtopher said:
I don't know if I want to take the risk, they're just so **** good lookin:arg:
If your tank is small and you won't mind removing a lot of stuff to get him out if needed then you can try him....if not I wouldn't risk it!

These guys usually slowly nip at coral rather than gobble one up in a few days! They more less nip it to death. So you will notice in time usually to save the coral....just a matter of getting the angel(devil)out!:eek:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
That's what my coral beauty does. She just picks at my colt coral every once in a while, but when I first put the coral in there it was pretty frequent. She's pretty though. I was told to put a tang in there to keep her busy. I haven't done it though, at least not yet. I wanted a flame too, but don't want to risk it since I can tell I'm real lucky already. (Yeah right!!!)

·
Administrator
46,667 Posts
FWIW the pygmy angel C. argi is prolly the least apt of the Centropyge angels to nip coral, but none of them read the rule book :(

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I have a rock beauty but he picks at feather duster worms and soft things like bubble corals and frogspawn. I've had him for 8 years and although sometimes he's a pain, he hasn't killed anything - - -

HHC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts