The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - my tank has been up and running for almost 2 years - all water parameters normal, even 0 nitrates - I haven't lost a fish in over a year, but when I got home from work just now I noticed that my flame angel is swimming kinda funny. It looks like he's having a hard time (laboring) swimming, if that makes sense, and is a tad off kilter, but still eating and being very active. No visible signs of anything on him - no new additions to the tank, no changes. He was given to me about 1 1/2 years ago and was full grown at the time - is it possible that it's old age or should I worry about an illness? He's my fav and I'd hate to lose him but am not well versed in fish diseases.

THanks - angie

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does it have any other symptoms? (Labored breathing perhaps?). Labored swimming can mean a lot of things especially in a well established, healthy, tank with long lived fish. It could mean he's on way out due to old age just as much as it could be a spontaneous velvet infection, reaction to bad food, or poisoning related to air-fresheners or other chemical (did you have any visitors recently perhaps?). It's not really a good sign anytime a fish looks like it is struggling. How long has he been acting like this?

Is there any more information you can offer? Picture perhaps? Has he experienced color change, feeding habits, movement habits, or otherwise? Does he have any kind of a dull sheen or splotches on skin, color change of the eyes, color change in gills, or growth around the gills? Any kind of white dots on the fins or body?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.