The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently trying to decide which dwarf angel I am going to add to my biocube 29 nano reef in a few months and want to make the most educated decision possible. I'm probably going to choose between the flame angel, the coral beauty, or the pygmy cherub angel. Any information or experience anyone has with these fish would be much appreciated.

I am most interested in:

1) aggression levels with tank mates (by the time I add him I will have a sixline wrasse, a royal gramma, and a firefish, possibly an occelaris clown. I had a pair but was having issues with aggression when I added a new fish so I returned them to the LFS)
2) personality and color
3) behaviour around inverts
4) care tips
5) swimming habits
6) shyness
7) any other relevant info

·
Registered
814 Posts
dam, have fun doing water changes everyday, lol.... and id go with the cherub, but honestly with that tiny space and so many fish youre gonna have problems with aggression....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I might have to hold off on the clownfish and just stick with the few that I have plus the angel. I run a skimmer and do weekly water changes and my levels are constant- amm-0 nitrite- 0 nitrate- 0-5 ppm

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
Coral beauty and flame angel can both be a little aggressive, especially in a 29g, which I think would too small for them anyway. You could go with the pygmy. I just got one a few weeks ago...he is incredibly shy, won't touch pellets at all, but will eat any of the frozen mixes I have tried without issues. Note on all three...they may nip at corals so aren't considered reef safe. In a larger reef, maybe not an issue, but in a 29g, may be an issue.
As for swimming habits, my coral beauty likes to race along the back wall near the top of the tank back and forth while the flame angel likes to swim in the current from the powerheads. He'll swim up to it, relax so it sends him flying back, then swim back to it again...he'll do this about 4-5 times in a row, then get bored for a while, only to do it again half hour later. Had him over a year now. My pygmy angel goes all over the place within the LR finding caves I didn't know existed, but is rarely out in the open.
I'd say you are pretty well stocked already. I'd be seriously concerned about the added bio load, especially as the corals in the reef grow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright guys thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I guess either way I'm going to hold off for quite awhile but I'm considering maybe just going with coral from here on out for stocking and maybe one more small fish. Something like a chromis for movement . Sounds like an angel is out of the question with what I already have in there. Anyways I think I will just let the tank sit for about a month or two before I make any more additions and see how everything grows out

·
Reef Freak
233 Posts
Here's an idea, try a seahorse and a pipefish tank with a scooter blenny (dragonet)

Like this:

Two dwarf seahorses
Alligator pipefish
Scooter Blenny
Feather Dusters
Lots of algae and maybe a mangrove tree or two??

I've never kept a seahorse tank on my own but I've helped maintain one. It's alomst like fish but they are more peaceful and graceful to watch compared to fish

1 - 7 of 7 Posts