The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Butch is my dad, I'm his daughter whom, from what I hear about, he mentions from time to time. :cool: He's at the TRT barbeque today and having a great time from what I hear! Anywho, I know that there's a saltwater fish with little leg-like apendages that walks around on the bottom of a tank. I was trying to show a friend a picture, but its hard to find on google if you don't know the name of the fish. Googling "fish with feet" comes up with a lot of stuff on Darwin. So does anyone know the name of this interesting creature? Thanks in advance!!! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously, my dad's shown me enough fish and coral that I remember seeing some things. We went to a store and he showed me one, I just forgot the name.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, Butch has a 19 year old daughter and a 13 year old son (his picture). :) I was the favorite until I left for college. Thanks for the pictures and suggestions of fish, none of them are exactly what I saw. When my mom calls from SC for her daily check-in with the kids, I'll ask him what it is.

PS: I love the article about the fish out of water! Dad's always taught me about evolution and stuff so seeing something like that is really interesting! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Let us know what it is when you find out, please. It will be interesting to see.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He thinks that what he showed me was a goby, but I can't find a good picture of one actually walking. He explained that it looks like its going through a change of fins to leg-like things. I probably look like a nutcase now, but I swear, there was a fish with little things it walked on. :freak:

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
(She's STILL my favorate daughter!)

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
hahaha butch..
there are several gobies and other that will do that. take a look inthe photo section.. i am sure you will see a few in there..
that snakehead was a real pain in the but around here.. very bad to have in the local ponds and waters..the local paper ask people to kill them if we saw them..

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
tims said:
hahaha butch..
there are several gobies and other that will do that. take a look inthe photo section.. i am sure you will see a few in there..
that snakehead was a real pain in the but around here.. very bad to have in the local ponds and waters..the local paper ask people to kill them if we saw them..
From what I understand they drained several ponds in the area looking for those things. They ended up finding quite a few if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
293 Posts
a watchmen goby has leg-fin like appendages, they dont really walk on them, rather sit/stand with them. There is the scooter blenny that kinda hops on leg-like fins.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Oh my God! Cool fish. But... I gotta say, it's kind-of ugly. (maybe it's just because the pic is very large) How big is the fish? What is the name of it?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Butch's Daughter,
This has been an interesting thread. I'm glad that you posted it. And... I don't think you're goofy! I don't think anyone else does either. Join us here ANYTIME.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
fdokinawa said:
Sorry its so big... But this fish walks on its "legs". Not sure if its the one your looking for though.
YAY!! I knew I wasn't completely crazy! At least not when it came to this :lol: Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Petunia said:
Butch's Daughter,
This has been an interesting thread. I'm glad that you posted it. And... I don't think you're goofy! I don't think anyone else does either. Join us here ANYTIME.
Thanks so much, Petunia! My name's Patti, Butch's daughter sounds funny, however how I identify myself for the most part. Unfortunately I live at college so I don't get to see all of the awesome stuff that's going on inside of our tank. The art and science all interests me though, so thanks for the welcome. :) I think communities that manage to sustain themselves through eachother and cooperation is an amazing thing that humans can take a lesson or two from. Every now and then I jump on to the site to check out the pictures, y'all have some amazing things going!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts