The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any fish that eat green hair algae? I dont want to pollute my tank to much with snails and crabs.

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I have heard that the lawn mower blenny goes to town on hair algae. I think a bigger concern would be, what is feeding the algae? What are your water parameters? The best way to get rid of bad algaes is to find the source.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the algae is coming on slowly, no outbreaks or anything. I'm sure there is always going to be algae growth. Just want to balance my tank perfectly..... or try to anyways. Snails get boring to watch lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tank is a 90 gal.
nitates - 10
phos - 0
clarkii and firefish goby
4 corals

thats it.

Skimmer is crap, getting a new one in Augest along with a sump, refugium. Slowly taking all sand out except about 1-2" for looks.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
My lawnmower blenny eats anything but an emerald crab does a good job on hair algae as well as a turbo snail, in case you'd like to try one.

HHC

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I heard turbos were pretty good. All I have are these small (white shells that come to a point sideways) snail guys that usually find a spot and don't move all day. Maybe I'll try turbos first before I get another fish that I may starve.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Turbos are very large but lumber along quite well. I would try one and see if it helps! They are relatively inexpensive to try. If all your water parameters stay as good as they are now, the hair algae will go away on its own.

HHC

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont mind the green hair algae. I just got over a battle with the red slime like 2 weeks ago. Now the green is coming out. I let the red slime go until it killed itself..... was very hard to look at. I dont mind harversting a little green to keep the nitrates down though, just have enough little guys to care of it ya know.

Tank is only 7 months old too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have read the foxface is a hit or miss when it comes to reef safe fish. Will nip at dusters, and polyps of all kinds. Is that true?

·
Human grounding probe
1,896 Posts
A good crew of snails and hermits are a start and a blennie wouldn't hurt either. I like em, they have that so ugly you gotta love em thing goin on. I have a yellow tang and a couple blennies and well. The tang is useless, just a pretty fish. He won't touch anything cept Nori. I eveen tried to starve him a tad to get him to eat the alge but no dice. The blennies won't touch the mature clumps of alge. But theres only three of them about silver dollar sized and I think they look kinda pretty so I keep em in check with a siphon hose and a good pinching. Sorry to ramble, I guess my point is is the cure isn't as simple as adding a fish or a crab or a snail. Eliminate the excess nutrients and the hair will recead, just like mine did when I was 25.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True that the cure isn't adding more things to take care of problems that in turn will make your problems worse. But if you could have a perfect balance of fish to algae, alowing algae to grow but not overtake. Do you need to have absolutly perfect water quality?? Wouldn't it be better to have a little nutrients in your water?

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
I added a scopas tang when I was running into a algea problem
they stay small (around 4-5")
and are not the ugly brown you see in the fish stores
they do color up when happy

·
Registered
317 Posts
There are better rabbitfish for this application:

virgatus and doliatus come to mind.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
yeah def go with an algae eating fish, snails and crabs can only handle so much
like the above posters said, blennies, foxface, yellow tang, pygmy angelfish will also eat hair algae

1 - 20 of 21 Posts