The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is this is it gonna be a really big pain to control the water temp this winter since the tank is set up next to a heating vent. It is an older heating system so we have to keep it open to heat that room *dang 100 year old house* we thought that getting or making a hood for the vent to redirect the heat might work fine but wondered if anyone else has this situation. The only spot in the living room to put it besides where it is my husband has claimed with his 75g FW tank lol. I thought about moving it to our game room but the problem with that is during the summer that room gets the hotest lol so i am not sure what i should do. any suggestions

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
How about big industrial wheels on the base? Have reef will travel to best room for the season. Kidding, redirect the heat away from direct flow onto the tank, sometimes a fan will do too. Good luck.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunatly we havent had the duct work and heating systems updated yet in this house so were stuck with the lovely one vent into the room on one side and one out on the other. talk about old *im sticking to the if it aint broke why fix it lol* I was gonna talk my husband into helping me move the tank when he got home to a spot i thought was a perfect spot but then had to remember that we will have a christmas tree to put up lol and well since we have 3 computers hooked up and all his electronic cra... stuff theres little room to move it. But i think that will be what we do . if that doesnt work ill just have to consider moving it then . uh but with more rock by then will not be fun lmao

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,674 Posts
I've seen covers that make it go left and right as if you had a piece of furniture(or in this case a fish tank) in front of tank.In one of those everything mag.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,473 Posts
I think you will be okay. We have the same situation. The heat transfer through air is less than a hundreth of it through the water, and much less than the radiant heat put out by your lights.

Think of it this way...put a warm beer in the fridge and it takes forever to get to drinking temperature (unless you are goofy from England or something and drink it at room temperature). Put another beer in a cooler full of ice and water and it will cool down really quick.

I think the warm air that is really only a few degrees hotter than the 70-80 degrees in your tank will disperse and be incredibly minor compared to the energy that turns to heat put in by the equipment and lights. :thumbup:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after thinking about it we really only keep the house no more then 70 in the winter i hate heat lol. So well just get a hood for it. And no we dont have central air we will when we replace the old furnice and duct work lmao the furnice has been in thehouse for about 55 years one of the main ducts is wood it all has to go which is another fun project for the spring. But anyways thanks for the input i dont mind the work on the tank and the water changes just didnt wanna make it more work then it had to be. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts