The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning right before I had to leave for work I went down to my fish tank to just check on it. It was incredibly cloudy and the sump was filled with big bubbles (along with the protein skimmer). I was only able to find one fish in the tank which is not abnormal for me in the mornings. They seem to all hide.

I unplugged the skimmer and was trying to find anything that may have died or what could be causing it. I wasnt able to find anything.

I wasnt able to run water tests because I had to leave for work . I dont have any backup water made yet but soon as my wife gets home she is going to turn on the RODI so i can do a water change tonight hopefully.

Can anyone think what could have caused this? I didnt fish a little bug out of my sump. I doubt he could have caused it but I have no idea. I do water changes routinely and my water parameters are always good.

Any suggestions would be great

BTW i didnt do anything to it last night and i dont have any kids so they couldnt have put anything in the tank.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one is home right now. She works till 3.

Ya i would say a whitish cloud.. I took the lid off the protein skimmer and the bubbles coming up remind me of dish soap or bubble bath almost. But i know for a fact nothing got in the tank.

The tank is a year old. (actually pretty much 1 year this week i think )

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
sounds like something in the tank broke down, meaning died,if it was air bubbles then that is easy but a white cloud can be a few things with in tank.
the larger bubbles did they pop almost right away? i think once you test the tank you might fine your parameters are bit off.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bubbles seemed to stick around. . . What could have died that may have caused that? my corals all seemed fine. I have a lobo, long hair mushroom that look fine. toadstool looked fine and so did my frogspawn.

ugh I wish i didnt have to be at work. I would run home on my lunch break but its almost pointless because by the time i get home i would have to leave.

The larger bubbles seemed to group up. Once I turned off my skimmer things seems to start to clear up a little. I replaced my filter sock as well (bubbles were forming and staying around that) and that seemed to help some as well.

Plan on doing tests soon as a i get home.. atleast hopefully. I ahve to paint the bathroom tonight as well cause we have a contractor coming to put everything back in the bathroom tomorrow. . . . Going to be a long night i think .

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he is probably the size of a tenis ball

he has been acting a lil weird recently. He started burying himself in the sand during the day.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and today he was at the top of the tank

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everything seemed ok when I got home. Tests showed ammonia to be between 0 and .25

Going to do a small 5 gallon change tonight

·
Registered
960 Posts
Is your urchin....
Deceased?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Tim, going away for a week and need something to read
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
if your getting any reading from your tests id suggest treating with prime or the similar product to temporarily detoxify the amm/nitrite and if your going to do any kindve waterchange it should be 20-40% imo, your not going to help anything doing a small waterchange besides take out detritus and replace a few trace elements.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everything seems fine now. The cloudiness cleared up. Everything is still alive. I took my skimmer apart and cleaned it as well as all my power heads. I did a water change as well. I will be doing my weekly change on Saturday (usually 12 gallons)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts