The Reef Tank banner
2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ray1214 
#1 · (Edited)
if you can post fish suggestions and info about nano reefs for my 10 gal nano it would be great. im starting a nano because i want to start small and go bigger. im just taking baby steps and hope someday i could be an expert reefer. :fish: :help: :cool:

#3 ·
I think the_reefer may be asking what types of fish can handle a small tank. I have yet to find a list... I just sort of find interesting fish then research minimum tank sizes and reef compatibility.

I'm probably going to go with a pair of clowns. Do you start with the fish and anemone at the same time, or is it best to do one then the other?

#6 ·
isn't a 6 line wrasse far too active for a 10g tank?

as for anemones, you need very pristine water conditions and high intensity lighting, both are somewhat difficult to achieve with a nano, as it may be difficult to find vho lighting for such a small tank and not many want to go MH due to heating concerns and price

it is also hard to maintain water parameters and temp which are essential to anemone survival

also note that different clowns host with different anemones, most of which get HUGE, way bigger than any nano would accomodate for

your clowns (depending on the species) will pretty much host with anything, including soft corals

hell, my pair of A. Ocellaris in my 10g have hosted in a disgusting pair of mojano anemones

they've also been known to host in xenia and zoos

I would strongly recommend against getting an anemone in a nano reef

#9 ·
Justin has a 10 gal nano. After researching, he has decided to go with 1 red headed goby, 1 or 2 neon gobies, and some shrimp goby. He likes the fact that all are either active or you can see them all of the time. and all are small and eat basically the same foods.
Right now his red headed goby, which is smaller than an inch is probably the most profilic and active swimmer in the tank.
He has to inspect every piece of coral in the tank .
My nano has a bumblebee goby that i have acclimated to saltwater two years ago and is living quite well. He is my last tank raised one from a clutch two years ago in a heavy brackish tank.
Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.