The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a beta up of the map to local fish stores. Please have a look at http://arc.ldg.net/stores.php when you all have time.

Something not immediately obvious is that for non-members it only shows sponsors. When you're logged in as a member (and I don't have you current passwords on this server so you'll have to take my word for it), it shows sponsors *and* other stores. The logic behind this was that showing the other stores is a service for our members, not the general public. As members, they're more likely to go to our sponsors anyway and this way, we only advertise our sponsors to non-members. I thought it was a good compromise.

Comments?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Rob, I like your compromise idea!

I looked at the site and would like to see a few things differently:
1) Could you place a number beside the text of each sponsor's store and then in the green box have that number? For non-sponsors when members logon, you could place an alpha character beside the store and if you'd like in their white box too.

2) Could you use a "mapquest" like map so if they want to get directions to the store they can just click the link? Maybe make the name of the sponsor store a hyperlink to their site on mapquest.

Thanks Rob for moving this forward and into graphics!

Bob

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Rob, I played around a little more with the site and see that when the cusror moves over the sponsor's site on the map, it highlights the sponsor's text - Very nice touch! My comment about this is that if I am moving my cursor on the map, the text of that store may not be on my screen and therefore I couldn't see the effect of the highlighting. :(

Also, I like to see the sponsors listed alphabetically.

Thanks again!

Bob

·
Registered
921 Posts
Ocean Cool

That is so cool, love it.

Bob- the stores are alphabetical when I look. You could always scroll to the left to hypertext the sponsor stores and get your mapquest. Or maybe the map simply highlights the left hand listing and does not need the right. Use the right side for non-sponsor listing? But whatever, Rob it looks very tech.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Love it!

I didn't realize the mouse-over highlighted the text until I read it here... perhaps some instructions for dummies like me who did not figure it out on their own... :eek:

My only comment is that it doesn't all fit without scrolling and I had to scroll after mousing over to see which text fit went with each location on the map (if that makes sense?) I'm not sure what the solution would be - the map is a good size, text for each store is a good size.... not seeing what the full listing looks like I don't know if that issue carries over to the "members" part of that ...

I like the idea of sponsors getting more visibility vis a vis non member public viewing the ARC website - that is a tangible advantage to both the sponsor stores, and to encouraging people to become members - more information.

Well done!

Jenn

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I thought of the possibility of the information for the store you're moused-over not being on the screen but I didn't really see a good way around it. Doing number is tricky because the whole image is dynamically generated. If I make the text black and it happens to be over one of the highway lines, it's really hard to read. If I go with a lighter color, it's hard to read the rest of the time. If I make the squares big enough to contain the number, they're too big for the map.

Let me think about it a little bit more...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, have another look and tell me if I've successfully worked around the issues you all have mentioned. Also, I copied the member database to this server as well so you can try logging in too.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Thumbs up. I logged in - works well.

:)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'm a little late on this but totally awesome.

My only thought would be ---

On this particular screen get all the other information off of it. Stuff like the top banner/logo. The left side with event/sponsor ect... Do we really need all that on this screen,

That way there would be more room for just the map and addresses. After logged in it took me a while to realize there were names and addresses below the map.

Also on a 1024 x 768 screen I still have to scroll a little to the right. There is realy nothing there but my right/left scroll bar apears. I feel w/ any site you should never have to scroll left/right in 1024 x 768 mode. Up and down is acceptable but not left or right.

All in all this is totally awesome and you came up w/ a wonderfull compromise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts