The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,
See if you could help. My purple fire goby, 1 fire shrimp and 2 cleaner shrimps that were kept in a 24" x 12" x 18" refugium since early April died one by one starting day before yesterday. The refugium was connected to the main display at 48" x 24" x 24" where all the creatures living there were OK. I had noticed that there were some sort of white bugs crawling all over the glass surface and probably on the sand surface of the refugium as well. Would these bugs bother the fish & shrimp? OR would the CO2 releasd by th grass at night kill them? Plase do advise since I don't want to see more creatures got killed.

Jimmy WONG
from Hong Kong

·
11,345 Posts
Sorry to hear that......:(

So your tank is fine??

But fuge everything died???

I have no idea, never heard of that. All iwoudl ask is what your water parameters are? Even though nothing died in the tank, its someplace to start.

The water in your fuge shouldnt be any different than the water in the tank UNLESS you shut off your return pump for some time so the water in the sump WASNT circulating. Doing that for just a few hours could cause some problems.....

??

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
The bugs are pods and are good.

If your flow is to slow going through the fuge you could have a build up of grass leavings that caused an issue. but I don't think that would happen unless you were turning over less than 2% of the water per hour.

I really don't have any suggestions, this is a new one to me.

Maybe someone else can help you out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Mates,

A guy on the other WEB told me that the macro growing in the refug that went sexual would cause trouble and they would release some sort of toxin. I didn't believe that at first but in order to find out the possible cause I tested the NO3 level for the two tanks. To my surprise they were different! The colour for the refug was deep pink while the colour for the display is light pink or undetectable. So I've learned somthing to save the animals. Increase flow/circulation. More frequent water changes! Spread the news.

Jimmy WONG

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
if the Caleurpa did Holocarp on you than it could be very problematic for the system. if the flow is slow enough than it could just kill the fuge and not the tank.

did your Caleurpa go white on you?

could you have a predator in the fuge? a crustacean of some kind? maybe a large starfish?

G~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts