The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 110 gallon fish only tank with plenty of live rock and a few fake plants. It's got an overflow tank with bio balls and a sump. To be honest I don't know much about fishkeeping, but I do know that I got my tank used and it was used for freshwater. Anyways I've cleaned it thoroughly and now it's cycling the slat water that's about 1.023. So I have a few questions. The first one being how long do I have to cycle it for before I add in fish. And the second one is does anyone have any fish recommendations. I was thinking I wanted mostly large fish because when you mix up the sizes it can be deadly sometime, so I was thinking like a snowflake eel, lionfish, triggerfish of some kind, maybe a tang (powder blue hopefully because I think they're awesome). But yeah let me know what you guys think and thanks. This is my first forum post ever by the way so don't be too hard on me.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Welcome to TRT! :wavey:

What I recommend doing is getting all of your equipment and reading TONS whether it be on the forums or books. Do this over the course of your cycle.

I would pick the one fish that you must absolutely have in your tank and work around that. See whats compatible. You will know your tank has cycled when Ammonia and Nitrite are 0, and you have a trace of nitrates. It's better to be patient though as bad things tend to happen when you aren't. HTH

I would love to see pics of your tank btw!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay I've been looking around and wanted to ask if anyone sees any problems with this group of fish.

Powder Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
Yellow Eye Tang
Humu Triggerfish
Puffer, probably Blue Spotted
Snowflake Eel
Black and White Butterflyfish
This is probably going to be my setup unless there are any problems and I was looking at groupers and anglerfish and wondering if they could possibly work with that group. Most people say that anglers will eat what can fit in their mouths. I realize that with fish it's always a gamble because it's the individual that can be overly aggressive and so on, but I'm asking in general does anyone see a problem. Thanks a lot!

·
Banned
165 Posts
Okay I've been looking around and wanted to ask if anyone sees any problems with this group of fish.

Powder Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
Yellow Eye Tang
Humu Triggerfish
Puffer, probably Blue Spotted
Snowflake Eel
Black and White Butterflyfish
This is probably going to be my setup unless there are any problems and I was looking at groupers and anglerfish and wondering if they could possibly work with that group. Most people say that anglers will eat what can fit in their mouths. I realize that with fish it's always a gamble because it's the individual that can be overly aggressive and so on, but I'm asking in general does anyone see a problem. Thanks a lot!
way too many fish man, the first three fish ion threre would still be pushing it. like the other guy said pick the on fish you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE then work around that. say the fish you want is a mandarin. that means youll have to get small nonagressive fish for tankmates. but if you get a trigger. that means you need larger agressive tankmates. also research research research!! that is way too many fish. also what are you planning to keep in there coral wise?

·
Banned
165 Posts
well for a fowlr you can get away with a little more fish than reccomended but that is still way too much, i would get just one tang, maybe an angel. and some smaller things like blennies gobies chromises cardinals etc. there are many beautiful fish that would fit in that tank your just looking at the wrong ones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm trying to avoid getting small fish and sticking to bigger ones that are hopefully pretty peaceful. If I were to do what you said and pick one fish to work around it would be a powder blue tang. knowing that and knowing the fact that I don't want smaller fish how many would you think I could fit in my tank? The guy at my LFS gave me a number I'm trying to compare opinions so I can make the best decision.

·
Banned
165 Posts
I'm trying to avoid getting small fish and sticking to bigger ones that are hopefully pretty peaceful. If I were to do what you said and pick one fish to work around it would be a powder blue tang. knowing that and knowing the fact that I don't want smaller fish how many would you think I could fit in my tank? The guy at my LFS gave me a number I'm trying to compare opinions so I can make the best decision.
if you want to stick with larger fish you should of gotten a larger tank, only so many large fish can go in a 110 gallon, also large fish are just as agressive as small fish. you need to do more research, if you are planning on getting a hippo tang then you could probably get only one more large fish and the rest would have to be less than 5 inches

·
Registered
814 Posts
honestly if youre doing fowlr i dont see a problem with the number of fish, none of those are particularly messy fish, however, its not common to have more then one tang per tank, doesnt matter if they are different types, IME they will fight till one either hides or dies.... and that does not only apply to tangs, most active fish will go after others that have similar body shape and size, ie, i have an orchis psuedo, if i were to put in a firefish he would go after him, 9 times out of ten anyway and knowing my psuedo, he would kill him stat, the only fish he doesnt chase ever is my mandarin, which is probably only because the mandarin flares up when another fish comes near and he was the sole inhabitant of that tank for almost six months before i got the hum bug, yellow tang and the psuedo.... back to your tank though, i would X the other two tangs and honestly the eel, they get really big and have been known to live fine with small fish for years until one day they just snap and will eat a tank mate.... i personally have always love humu's, only problem is they tend to make it impossible to keep any inverts, at least thats my experience with triggers, never had a humu of my own.....

·
Registered
814 Posts
one thing i forgot to mention, youre gonna want a great skimmer with a bioload such as that, and youre gonna find it a tad expensive doing WC's at about 25% or more a week, unless of course you get into carbon dosing but i would suggest for now you avoid that because its not something to pick up as a beginning aquarist.....

·
Banned
165 Posts
honestly if youre doing fowlr i dont see a problem with the number of fish, none of those are particularly messy fish, however, its not common to have more then one tang per tank, doesnt matter if they are different types, IME they will fight till one either hides or dies.... and that does not only apply to tangs, most active fish will go after others that have similar body shape and size, ie, i have an orchis psuedo, if i were to put in a firefish he would go after him, 9 times out of ten anyway and knowing my psuedo, he would kill him stat, the only fish he doesnt chase ever is my mandarin, which is probably only because the mandarin flares up when another fish comes near and he was the sole inhabitant of that tank for almost six months before i got the hum bug, yellow tang and the psuedo.... back to your tank though, i would X the other two tangs and honestly the eel, they get really big and have been known to live fine with small fish for years until one day they just snap and will eat a tank mate.... i personally have always love humu's, only problem is they tend to make it impossible to keep any inverts, at least thats my experience with triggers, never had a humu of my own.....
sure it would be possible to have that many fish in that tank, but it is not healthy to the fish, it is stressful for you and the entire tank. not to mention pricey with all the expensive filtration. also i dont seem to have problems with tanks i had a sailfin and yellow together and they did fine. you just have to add them at the same time

·
Registered
814 Posts
i have indeed had one yellow and one sailfin together a while ago but it didnt last long before the sailfin started chasing him all around.... and yes, thats why i was saying youll need alot of salt mix and a good skimmer and carbon dosing is a good idea, although not if you dont fully understand it, i have a yellow tang, psuedo, mandarin, and a hum bug in a 70g system and i think that its over stocked really, and i carbon dose also just to keep nitrate at zero cause i like to thoroughly over feed, lol....

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
the Humu triggerfish is my dream fish :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
sounds like a great list but I have to agree with the guys above, to some degree. I would pick a few of those larger fish (2-3) tops (buy them small) and then mix in some cool smaller fish (angels). I would also eliminate the eel right off the bat, but everybody has thier own taste, so if its for you just be prepared (tight fitting lid).

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
and you should get two Picasso clownfish :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts