The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the answer to my question is just more manual cleaning on my part, but how would you keep a fish-only tank w/ non-reef safe fish clean. I really like butterflyfish, triggers, angels, etc, but if they will eat the shrimp, crabs, snails, does that make maintenance harder? I am contemplating #1. a bigger aquarium, and #2, getting rid of my mushrooms (the only "coral" that I have) and switching to FOWLR so I can have some of these fish. Anybody else have the same set up and maintenance advice?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Really good flow to keep everything suspended. A mature tank can get by without a cleanup crew cause without nutrients you don't get algae. My 12 gallon nano that is 5 yrs running gets no algae other than coraline. It has lr and maroon and damsel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about leftover food? Most of it gets eaten, but now I can just count on my crabs, shrimp, etc to eat it. The flow keeps this suspended I am guessing?

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
So here's where I think the term Reef Safe fails the hobby.

Reef Safe (or NOT reef safe) can have many meanings. Does it mean that fish is likely to nip/eat corals (like Butterfly's, parrots, angels, etc)...or does it mean the fish is likely to eat inverts like crabs/shrimp/snails? (like Triggers, etc). or does it mean it will eat OTHER FISH (like lions, puffers, etc).

Depending on WHICH it is, you can have a FOWLR and still have a clean-up crew. If it's not reef safe cause it eats corals...well, you don't want any corals, so you can add a normal clean-up crew.

It it eats inverts, shrimp, snails, etc...the you have to get creative. Maybe try something like an urchin, or cucumber.

If it eats other fish...well...Those predetory tanks are usually more open, not as much rock...mainly because YOU are the clean-up crew!! hhahaha

all depends on the specific fish you want, and WHY exactly they aren't considered reef-safe.

HTH'd

·
Registered
616 Posts
Loverotties said:
I'm confused?You 1st said FO then you say FOWLR big difference between the two!
That's a good point. What is the main difference? I'm setting up a FOWLR myself right now.:read:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so will butterflys eat shrimp, snails, crabs, etc. That is the main fish that I want, they are so beautiful. Not too concerned about corals right now, I would rather not go through the upgrading of my lights, more expensive power bills.

·
Registered
212 Posts
No butterflys shouldnt eat inverts such as shrimp, crabs, snails ect..
I actually have a copperbanded butterfly in my reef tank. The only thing he has eaten was those small hitchhiker featherdusters. He has never touched any of my coral.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I had threadfin butterfly in my tank with mushrooms never bothered them or the shrimp. I think they pick more at small polps. That way you could have the fish you want and keep your mushrooms. The threadfin did pick at my feather duster . The Trigger would be a whole diffrent story he/she would prob go after your shrimp and snals.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
cobray said:
Yes, that part I understand. How are they different when it comes to caring for them?:fish:
Main difference is with FO, you don't have to worry AS much about nitrates. This means different types of filtration can be used.

With FO, you can use things like Bio-Wheels and Wet-Dry trickle filtration, etc. Also, without corals/live rock to worry about, lighting is not really issue. A REALLY good skimmer is a good idea as well.

Those are the main differences.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts