The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody had fish loss after LR basting and basting detrius from under the rock into the open place for syphoning? I had lost 2 new fish, scooter blennies, may be coincidence, may be small particles settled onto the gills, and now it's time for the next cleaning...
Organic detrius is soft, but there are smallest hard particles from the cured Caribean Sea Reef Bones, they continue to shed (is it possible for pure stones?).
Thanks.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
When I baste the rocks my tank is filled w/ the detrius floating around clouding the water, but it has never bothered my fish at all (although it looks like it could). Unless (maybe?) the fish were somehow smashed against rocks, it might be just coincidence. I know from experience that if I don't baste the rocks every water change that eventually I will start getting hair algae which is almost impossible to get rid of.

·
Detritus is not a pet
386 Posts
You need to tweak your flow so you don't have to baste in the first place. If you have anything settling on the rocks then the flow is not completely appropiate.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gman0526 said:
You need to tweak your flow so you don't have to baste in the first place. If you have anything settling on the rocks then the flow is not completely appropiate.
Any advice on how to improve flow? System description and a lot of photos are here http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81245
Thanks for the info, everyone!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I only saw you have 2 poweheads in your 90gal, is this right? you really need to add more if this is all you have, the return from the sump really does not count.

if the rock is sheeding now it will continue to do so for a while just continue blasting the rock before a water change. but you need to add more flow.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where? Advice, please.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts