Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We currently have a 100 aga mixed reef tank with the following:
(mixed-sps,lps softies and clams)

yellow tang
tomato (2)
sailfin blenny
bi-color psudochromis
yel tail damsel (3) want to get rid of them

to be added for the next tank - in-wall 300+, 90 gal sump, 29gal above tank fuge:

plus the above and
flame hawk or spotted hawk
spotted cardinal (3)
orange lined cardinal (3)
royal grammer
rainford's goby (3)
citron clown goby (3)
square spot anthias (3)
square box anthias

Have checked the various sponsors descriptions and from what I have read. What do you think of compatability with each other and the animals in the reef (especially the clams, don't want any mantle nippers :mad:Any and all feed back is appreciated and if there is a fish not mentioned but might fit in - chime on:dance:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I was looking at my compatibility chart. According to the chart, caution is required for the following combinations:
Surgeonfish(tangs) and cardinalfish
Gobies and Gobies
You may want to check the chart.....
www.saltwater.8m.com/compat.htm
I am sure the more experienced keepers here will be able to help tremendously.
Nicole

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
One of my fave fish is a rainsford's goby or the court jester goby simply because they don't seem to be shy and will reproduce in a home aquarium. I had a flame hawk, and he massaccared some of my peppermnit shrimp and he was delegated to a fish only tank.

Ray

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I would skip the clown gobies in a 300g tank. You won't be able to see them very often. We have one in our 110g that we rarely see because of their small size.

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ray

Do you have more than one Rainfords Goby in the tank?

Brooke

Good catch - would have to get a "herd" of them and then still won't see them lol lol

seamonkey

One of them takes to "nipping" at me whenever I have to rearrange coral that the other one either knocks off or pull's off. Yes, pull's off. I cut back some GSP and glued it on a shell and put that on a ledge. Well, it was in "his area" and he pulled it off. :mad:

·
Registered
818 Posts
I would tend to agree with Brooke on the clown gobies. They are cool little guys. But, I have two in a 75 and they are even a little hard to see in mine. I think an often overlooked fish are chromis. A school of say green or blue chromis look pretty cool.

The hawk can be pretty aggressive towards shrimp. I have a spotted and can no longer have any kind of shrimp. They as good as dead when they hit the water. If you aren't having any shrimp they are cool fish.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Like others have said, the first thing you need to do when switching everything over is to get rid of the dam*sels... they'll most likely attack everything else you add.

As far as the rest of your selection goes, I'd be careful with any type of hawkfish... they're predatory and will have no problem attacking your shrimp or other small crustaceans.

I have a green clown goby in my 55g and luckily he found my pagoda coral that sits right in the front of my tank. He never leaves it except when food floats by, then it's a quick dart-n-grab.
They're great little nook'n cranny fish, but they'll spend most of their day just sitting in a coral head (their natural environment).
The citron's might be easier to see since they're yellow, but make sure to have a nice coral for each of them to host in or you may get some territoriality problems.

As far as mixing different species of gobies go, I've had pretty good luck mixing up mine. I read somewhere that on a reef head you can find up to 90 gobies per square meter, so they're used to living in close proximity to one another.

These are the gobies I have in my tank:
(1) Purple Firefish
(1) Orange-Spot Watchman (prawn) goby
(1) Yellow Watchman Goby
(1) Green Clown Goby
(1) Redhead Goby
(3) Blue Neon Gobies

I don't have any interspecies territorial issues, though the blue neons still haven't figured out they do better in groups and chase each other around occassionally (I should show them the page in my reef book on their 'proper' behavior)... :D
I also have plenty of hidey holes for all the fish so they're not competing with each other for space.
I think that as long as the gobies all look different you shouldn't have too much of a problem since they won't be viewed as a threat.

You'll also probably want to keep the tang in the smaller tank until you get the other fish added and add it last or you may get some territoriality issues whenever you add new fish. I don't have any tangs so this is just hearsay but I thought I'd mention it.

Otherwise the list looks good though... just remember that cardinalfish are also ravenous pod eaters, so if you wish to get a mandarin or other pod eater down the road they'll have to compete with the cardinals for food.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have to agree with everyone about the hawkfish. My spotted hawk is 4 - 5 inches and is very agressive with any new small fish.

I would much rather have the various shrimp available than the hawkfish. I wish I could get him out.

I have a citron goby and it's larger than a clown goby plus it is always out where you can see it.

Pam

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you for all the help:

Have been very informative, you could not get this great info from a book. I will try and talk the wife into letting the dam-sels go. I can't wait to start on that in wall tank and the remdeling of the living room. Rough dimensions of the next tank - 72"l x 28"h x 32-36" deep. Will probably go the 36" for the added space and aquascaping.

Since we will have a couple of clams in the tank, the extra bio-load will be good for them and the super-big-diy skimmer I'll be making.

Not sure if we will have any shrimp, althought the cleaner shrimp are great looking and do a good service. Always wanted a flame hawk but think twice on that.

Thanks again all :D

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
Rainford's gobies...I've heard these are cooler temp fish, and we had one on two different occasions...water temp at 78-80 degrees, and lost both.

Our Hawkfish had to be traded in because he became so aggressive after we had him for several months...very heartbreaking.

Purple Firefish love to jump, but that shoudn't be a problem in a large tank (we use eggcrate as a cover on all our tanks)
Also, Purple Firefish like to live in groups...at least 2. They hang out together, are shy, but do protect their own small area of the tank.

Your bi-color and royal gramma might have issues, but in a tank that large, it might be just fine.

~ Shirley :)

·
2,679 Posts
My rainsford goby does fine in a 80 degree tank. He is at least two years old, and a great hair algae grazer and sand sifter.

Ray

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
reefer addict

thanks for the list. we had three fire fish that lived in a piece of LR when we bought it. They were always harrased by a psudochromis. In our tank, they just spread out and each one had their end of the tank and the middle.

shirley

those hawks are just neat - they way they look and move

ray

the rainford's is different looking and that's why it's on the list. would you have more than one, if you had the room and do they school?

thank you all - this really helps me from making a big screw up later on.:rolleyes:

·
2,679 Posts
They don't school but I have never seen one territorial. Very peaceful and not shy at all.

Ray

1 - 15 of 15 Posts