The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have came up with a fish list for the 5' 120 I am setting up again now.... Anyone with opinions please comment! I plan to have these fish in the tank for about a year then I'll be upgrading to something larger....

First addition... 1 Magnificent Foxface and 6 blue chromis
Second... 2 Purple Firefish and 2 Orange Firefish
Third... 1 Male Blonde Naso Tang
Fourth... 1 Court Jesture Goby and 6 Spotted Cardinalfish
Fifth... 2 Leopard Wrasse (1 male and 1 female)
Sixth... 1 Spotted Mandarin Goby
Seventh... 3 Yellowhead Jawfish

A total of 25 fish, all small but 2 of them.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Are you looking to focus on Corals (SPS)?
Do you have link to a photo of the foxface?

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
If it's setup for fish well (good filtration, oxygenation, etc), I think it would be do-able, but I'd be hesitant. Thats a huge bio-load fish wise, and I imagine it would be disastrous in a power outage situation (where flow is lost, and oxygenation doesnt take place). If you good widdle the number down to ~15 fish, I think you'll have better long term success. Also, consider keeping the salinity a little lower to allow for more dissolved O2. Too many times I've seen folks wake up to a tank full of dead fish because of a pump failure or power outage, and this is normally the reason.

The only fish caution I would have, and it's pretty conservative, is with the Naso tang. I've seen them in all kinds of tanks, but they get huge. Up to 24", and no tank 18" wide is going to make them happy. It would depend on how confident you are with the pending upgrade and how large it would be. If you like tangs, consider a smaller genus such as the zebrasoma (purple and yellow make good choices) or the ctenochaetus (kole and tomini, etc).

Good luck!!

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
390 Posts
I have came up with a fish list for the 5' 120 I am setting up again now.... Anyone with opinions please comment! I plan to have these fish in the tank for about a year then I'll be upgrading to something larger....

First addition... 1 Magnificent Foxface and 6 blue chromis
Second... 2 Purple Firefish and 2 Orange Firefish
Third... 1 Male Blonde Naso Tang
Fourth... 1 Court Jesture Goby and 6 Spotted Cardinalfish
Fifth... 2 Leopard Wrasse (1 male and 1 female)
Sixth... 1 Spotted Mandarin Goby
Seventh... 3 Yellowhead Jawfish

A total of 25 fish, all small but 2 of them.
The Naso can also kill many of these other fish by accident with a swipe of its tail. When you upgrade to the 4x4x2, try leave both diagonals open for the tang to swim. Many tangs like to go longer distances in a burst of movement. I think a Zebrasoma would be easier, but its certainly your choice.

The jawfish will not handle going in last well at all. They will try to jump repeatedly and take a long time to settle. They are often terrified of big active fish like tangs and schools like chromis or cardinals.

If you don't get an existing pair, get two female leopard wrasses. One will become male and the pairing may go smoother. These guys eat a lot more than their size indicates.

The mandarin will starve to death when the leopard wrasses eat all of the copepods faster than it can, unless you can get it to eat prepared foods.

6 blue chromis will slowly become 2 blue chromis or 3-4 blue chromis (if two females establish territories at opposite ends of the tank) and chances are good that one of the six will bully the shy fish like leopard wrasses, firefish, & jawfish. They school as juveniles, but not so much as adults. They act more like any other damsel when their schools break up for the evening. Not a problem, but it might not be what you were hoping for.

6 pajama cardinals will get larger than you think. I've seen them break 6", but at least one and likely more will die from abuse from larger cardinals before then. Crustaceans smaller than them will slowly be eaten over time.

4 firefish will definately be a full-out battle. If you are lucky, they will be two male/female pairs and stay on opposite ends of the tank from each other.

I would also call this tank overstocked. I'd recommend waiting on at least 8-10 of these fish until you have the larger tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts