The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that my female ocellaris has somehow gotten into the overflow. Trying to net her with the plumbing in there seems like it would be stressful on her. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Swear I am not kidding on this; using a gentle, completely clean hand, slide it down in the overflow below her, spread your fingers, and lift up to catch her. Quickly move her to the display.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
galleon said:
Swear I am not kidding on this; using a gentle, completely clean hand, slide it down in the overflow below her, spread your fingers, and lift up to catch her. Quickly move her to the display.
Good luck!
That would be much more manueverable than a net. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
959 Posts
My male clown used to do that all the time. But ONLY the male. Makes you wonder if ALL males do dumb things. :p JK

Anyway I took a brine net and scooped him out every time
Put a piece of netting over your overflow.

Is it a baby clown?? Mine dont do it now that they are all grow'd up

·
Registered
136 Posts
My ocellaris spent a couple days in the overflow before I could catch her. My hands were too big and clumsy to fit down there. So I started dropping the net in there and food at the same time. Eventually hunger won out and the fish lost all caution and I was able to net it even it such tight confines.
Dan

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fishinchick said:
My male clown used to do that all the time. But ONLY the male. Makes you wonder if ALL males do dumb things. :p JK
This is an adult female. But she could be trying to get away from the male.:)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
NOPE!! Think I will stay out of this one! Wisdom comes with age! Johnny:beer:

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my hands were too fat. I had to use the net. Thankfully she's captive bred so she comes to me and wasn't scared of the net. It didn't take long for the pair to snuggle up together.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
A couple of our smaller chromis have taken the dive at night....the like to sleep right next to the darn overflow. We usually turn off the pumps, remove the durso and net them.

Glad you caught her!

Brooke

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Hi, in the past I've had clowns take the dive to the sump, now I put gutter mesh over the overflow slots held in place by tie wraps.

·
Registered
146 Posts
At least your clown survived

I have a clown go down an unscreened bulkhead fitting and eventually end up inside the Iwaki return pump. nasty way to die. :( All my bulkhead fittings have screens on them now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts