The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Pygmy Angel has just recently adopted a new crazy dance. He's in my 12 gallon reef and everything looks normal. My goby is just watching him go back and forth like he's nuts. He's been in there for about 6 months with nothing going wrong. My levels are checking in good and normal and I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

He just picked a side of the tank and swims fast from left to right. Right to left, left to right, right to left...over and over then becomes normal after a few mins. he just started doing this in the past week. Should I be worried that my fish has apparantely lost his mind?? :freak:

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Depending on his size he could be showing signs of stress from being in a small tank. When you say pygmy angel I think pygmy yellowtail http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+456&pcatid=456 I don't think I am aware of any even small angel that is comfortable at full grown in that small of a tank but maybe you have one I have not heard of.:D Or he could just be nuts:freak:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's actually the pygmy cherub angel. he's mostly blue with a yellow face. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+455&pcatid=455

He hasn't grown much since I've had him. He prob about a little over an inch long. I would put him in my 50 gallon but I'm just concerned that he'd start picking on my more docile fish. and plus it's going to be a pain to catch him.

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
could be stress or watch closely when the lights come on he he could have ick .... does he swim against the LR? and watch for small bubble like white spots on his translucent fin parts if he slows down for you to get a look the best way to see tho is if after the ligths com on right away in the am he has little white spots on him ....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could be stress or watch closely when the lights come on he he could have ick .... does he swim against the LR? and watch for small bubble like white spots on his translucent fin parts if he slows down for you to get a look the best way to see tho is if after the ligths com on right away in the am he has little white spots on him ....
No ick. nothing white on him. he's not flashin'. just spastic. He hasn't lost any color and he looks healthy. I'll keep an eye on him for the next week....maybe I do have to move him to the bigger tank. someone want to catch him for me?? is there any easy way to remove a fish from a tank without taking out my rocks and corals?

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
No ick. nothing white on him. he's not flashin'. just spastic. He hasn't lost any color and he looks healthy. I'll keep an eye on him for the next week....maybe I do have to move him to the bigger tank. someone want to catch him for me?? is there any easy way to remove a fish from a tank without taking out my rocks and corals?
lol yea patients...if there is an easy way to do it i would love to know...thats y i dont take fish out nless they kick the bucket...but yea...especially with that fish be ready to pretty much trap him in a corner if ur lucky or break down ur tank ... thats as easy as it gets bud sorry for that one i know it gets frustrating believe me ...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You can use one of the bottle traps.
Not sure if angel's will go into them.
But they do work on most fish?
I don't have a link for it...
Here's a bump so that someone more experienced can help. :D

Edit: I guess there's also the technique where you find out where the angel's favorite spot to swim is, probably where he swims back and forth, and place the net in the tank in that spot, and let it sit for like 3 days.
After a couple days he should get used to it being there.
Take him off-guard and scoop him up as fast and as acccurately as you can. :D

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
You can use one of the bottle traps.
Not sure if angel's will go into them.
But they do work on most fish?
I don't have a link for it...
Here's a bump so that someone more experienced can help. :D

Edit: I guess there's also the technique where you find out where the angel's favorite spot to swim is, probably where he swims back and forth, and place the net in the tank in that spot, and let it sit for like 3 days.
After a couple days he should get used to it being there.
Take him off-guard and scoop him up as fast and as acccurately as you can. :D
lol well bottle traps are mostly from what iknow are for catching bristle works and such...fish would be sort of hard to get them into , as for the net in the corner...its not the net hes affraid of its the fast movement or any movement what soever near the fish and they freak...watch when a crab or anything get close to it they move from them as well even if they have been in the system together for years...best bet is to just try try and try...outa lucky u may get him without wrecking the rockscape...but as a bad case scenariou he will go anywhere to hid you could easilly have to take out every pices of rock so he has no where to run adn then still cahse him around the tank for a bit .... remember how the guy at the LFS caught him??? lol takt that to someone who never has to chase fish ... will take some time and some practice and some patients

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I've seen videos of people who bottle trap fish.
They just make it float at the top.
They caught a large tang in it?...
It was wierd. :O
I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I know this is an old thread but it asks my current question about pygmy cherub angelfish stress.

My pygmy cherub has started the rapid, repetitive swimming especially around feeding time and it is correlated with the addition of another dwarf flame angelfish. The flame is bigger and does chase the cherub especially when food is out; however I don't see the relaxed swimming I am used to seeing from the cherub at other times of the day.

I'm sitting here trying to decide whether to let the two "alike" angels settle in with each other or net out (yeah, like this is going to work) the cherub.

They are currently in a large (150 gal) lightly stocked FOWLR tank with many hiding places. If moved, the cherub would go to a 37 gallon reef.

What do you think?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts