The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our tank seems to be doing well.
Ammo, Nitrites/trates have all been at zero for a few weeks, and the snails and our second emerald crab (the first one died after three days) are all doing well.
This emerald crab is much livelier than the first and has cleaned up a lot of the algae (including bubble), already.

Last Thursday we added our first fish, a tiny red-headed goby.
He's very cute and curious, loves hunting pods, but also eagerly eats Formula One.

Over the next few months, we want to add a neon goby and a six-line wrasse.

Will this be maxing out the 20H, or can we add one more fish later on?
We were thinking maybe a clown (one that stays small), or a dottyback.

Does anyone have experience as to how these fish would get along?

According to my research, the gobies and six line should be fine together, but I'm not sure about the others.

And how often do you all feed your fish?
Every day, or just a few times a week?
Is Formula One varied enough, or should I switch between other types?

I'm trying to stay away from flakes, since they are supposed to cause problems.

Susanne

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Susanne

I feed flakes very rarely but feed the "Blender Mush" - it smells when you make it, live and frozen brine that has been sitting in Selcon for at least an hour before feeding (live)

Here is a link here but instead of the salmon you can use mahi mahi a small piece of tune.

What I use to make "blender mush":
scallops
tuna
squid
octopus
shrimp
abolone
Nori
garlic - out of the gel capsules
Selco

cut up or tear up the Nori into small pieces and put into the blender first, pusle it then add everything else - don't do it for too long, then it's too fine. I've just got some Cyclop-ese from Woody's and added that to the "mix" as well. Put into a large ziplock bag- then flatten out till it's about 1/4" thick - freeze for a coupleof hours, then take out and cut up into smaller cubs and put into a ziplock and freeze it. Just take out a "cube" for feeding. I feed twice a day.

hth :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
siskiou said:
Over the next few months, we want to add a neon goby and a six-line wrasse.

Will this be maxing out the 20H, or can we add one more fish later on?
I'd think you'll be pressing the limits with the wrasse in a 20 gal. That 'tiny' red head won't be 'tiny' for very long. Unless 2" is 'tiny'. (Overlooking the scads of off-color comments that can follow for those with a less than wholesome mind).

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
dottybacks are very territorial, and it could be pretty aggressive in your tank.

my 6 line harasses my clown all the time, which isnt a problem as the clow just goes and hides in his frogspawn, but mine disproves the docile theory i read everywhere about 6 lines.

i would ditch the 6 line, and go with a small ocellaris or percula, and a purple firefish. both of those are usually very calm, and will get along well with a neon and a red head. plus you are hitting most of the colors, if that is visually something you are going for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts