The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
New Reefer
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, 3 days ago i noticed a blood spot on the back fin of my bannerfish. it stopped eating and stayed at the lower corner of the tank. My tank is going through a diatom bloom but i don't think that should effect the fish.
yesterday, i noticed the fish was a bit lazy and still wasnt eating anything.
i checked water and everything is good.

Notice, the back of the fish, you can see the blood, it looks like it came from the inside of the fish because the puffer doesn't mes with it.. the puffer stays away from it.

Right now, its just floating around my tank.. i think its too late?

P.S, the puffer was just checking it out.. the puffer doesn't touch the fish.

Attachments

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Looking at the rock, it almost looks more like dinos, rather than diatoms. Certain strains of dinos are quite toxic. This may or may not be the issue...

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Sorry to hear that...

But the stuff that is stuck to the korila; is it slimy, snot-like algae?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
ahhh. OK... I still question what is on the rocks... Any chance for a better shot of the stuff that is on the rocks?

Just seeing if we can identify that as a possibility?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your fish. Are you sure the puffer wasn't picking at it? The top fin on a banner fish should be long not short. Just on a side note you prob know more than I do about puffers but I had one and didn't realize the need to be fed food that they actually have to work to get at like clams and such. This is to help keep their teeth trimmed. Also I had no idea how much food a puffer needs to keep it healthy.

·
New Reefer
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Upadte on rock, Pics

Guys, i took some shots of my tank to let you guys comment on. I think its a reg diatoms bloom but if you think its something else, please let me know.

One of the picture is of a filtered water i bought from petco. Its for freshwater fish but i was thinking i can add my salt to it since i already have sea salt. would this work? (The seawater was $50 for 5gals which is tooo darn much. this cost me $6 pr 2gal)

P.s Actually click on the image so you have a clear and a better view/idea.

Attachments

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Stop using that water asap. You can get distilled water from walmart for 72 cents a gallon and its going to be a lot better than the petco water which is probably nothing more than treated tap water.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I wouldn't use it at all. If you haven't opened it, return it. If you can't return it, as sad as it sounds, take it as a very cheap lesson. The water you use is not an area where you can skimp on. Start with good quality water (RO/DI, Distilled) and it lessens the problems that you can have by starting with a good source.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts