The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone has had experience with automatic fish feeders? if so what was your experience, and if not what do you do when you go out of town?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I use the nutra-matic from petsmart, tho it's only good for dry food. Print it out if you want it cuz petsmart price matches their online prices. Also take a pair of AA batteries so you can test to make sure they work right, and if you put batteries in, take out you'll have to wait a few minutes to put them back in or it wont turn the cup. here is a link to them. i have 5 of them used for my fresh and saltwater tanks, they work great for me.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441781539&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030133&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1151433892142&itemNo=8&In=Fish&N=2030133&Ne=2

·
Registered
161 Posts
When I go out of town I get a neighbor to come over and feed and do water top off. I leave them specific instructions. I relax much better knowing that someone is checking my reef. Where in Acworth are you?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i live off wade green, but its not for me its for my coworker... gordob on here... he lives way out in paulding which is why i'm not watching it... and he doesnt want someone he doesnt know comin in his house...

·
Registered
474 Posts
I use the eheim automatic feeder, have one for each tank. As long as the fish eat flake you are OK. Unfortunately, I have a recalcitrant cardinal fish that only eats frozen, so we still need someone to come over. But I can cut down the frequency to every other or every 3rd day. Much better on your friendships...

·
Registered
874 Posts
dont gorget the list of people willing to come and tnk sit, granted dude doesnt want people he doesnt know in his house, understandable, but it's always more reliable than a feeder.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree with Glxtrix. Too many things can go wrong. He will need auto feeder and auto top off at a minimum. I have heard many a horror stories of folks that went out of town to come home to a graveyard. I have a deal with a neighbor. I get his mail and water his plants when he is gone and he feeds my fish and tops off my tank when I am gone. I always leave him my cell number just in case.

·
Registered
274 Posts
that is true because you might end up like outloa with the air conditioning going out or something like that, tank sitter is the best i dea i kno

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's what i told him but he's too cool for my ideas... maybe when i show him this he will beleive me...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts