The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!! I am a new to saltwater tank keeping and i have had my 60 gallon tank up and running with no problems for 3 months. Yesterday, i tested my water: PH 8.3, Nitrate (slightly high .5), Nitrite and Ammonia is 0. My problem was i added a yellow tang and a cleaner fish and 3 hours later 9 of my fish as well as my new fish died within 30 minutes. :angry: It was like something was added to tank and wiped everything out! I did not add anything! They were grasping for air! I felt so helpless! At the spur of the moment, we ended up changing 60% of the water! By doing that we were able to save some fish.

I had / have: 3 Banggai cardinal's, 2 skunk cleaners, 3 clown fish, 3 damsels (2 domino and one blue with yellow tail), Brittle starfish, Goby Sharknose, Scooter Blenny, CCSF.

Only survivors were the 3 cardinals, one clown, scooter, and the 2 starfish.

Can anybody explain what in the world happened? I am clueless.

· Premium Member
27,090 Posts
Did you test your water afterwards?

It really could have been anything or a combination of things. They obviously were starving for air.

This hobby (saltwater)requires patience. Do your research, you are trying to keep way too many fish in a tank that size.

· Registered
5,698 Posts
You exceeded the capacity of the bacteria on such a new tank. Your fish died from ammonia (yes I know what your test kit read, it is probably wrong) A new tank needs much more time than that to grow sufficient bacteria to keep up with wastes from the amount of fish you are adding, those last two fish pushed it over it's limit. There isn't mush else that will kill fish that soon and especially if they were gasping.
That is to many fish for a 3 month old tank. Sorry.

· Registered
265 Posts
+1 for what Paul said. Patience is difficult in this hobby, but very necessary. Too many fish, way too fast.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You exceeded the capacity of the bacteria on such a new tank. Your fish died from ammonia (yes I know what your test kit read, it is probably wrong) A new tank needs much more time than that to grow sufficient bacteria to keep up with wastes from the amount of fish you are adding, those last two fish pushed it over it's limit. There isn't mush else that will kill fish that soon and especially if they were gasping.
That is to many fish for a 3 month old tank. Sorry.
Paul,
How do i add fish responsibly for my size tank? I would like to add damsels and some cleaner shrimp in the next week. Do i need to wait and if so, what would the time period be for adding fish.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like lack of oxygen...algae will use oxygen at night, and so do your fish, pods, etc...how do you oxygenate your tank?
Hotdog,
I have 2 power heads in my tank at opposite ends of tank. I believe they are 800 each. Is that ok?

Also, don't see lots of algae in my tank (only some on the walls on the tank). I have been seeing red stringy algae, that's it for algae. I have been using cope-pod food for my scooter.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What did you acclimate the fish in, are you sure neither the container or anything else you used to transfer the fish had any contaminants on it?
I acclimated the fish in the bags for over an hour (I also added tank water into bags during that time) and got my net and grabbed fish out.
No fish water that was in the bags went into tank.

· Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Is the surface of the water stagnant, turbulent, or somewhere in the middle?

Don't add any fish for the next month or this will just happen all over again. I would any nothing besides hermit crabs or snails if needed.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.