The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we recently purchased some new LR today and an algae blenny. The two pieces of rock have green mushrooms on and polyps. Everything was fine for an hour or two but suddenly the file fish was lying on its side on the sand bed, the medusa coral has started to wilt right down and the mushrooms and polyps have closed up but extended out jnto stalk type things!! We had just tested all the water and everything was fine! We have had the tank three months now. It has plenty of liverock with loads of polyps and mushrooms and loads new ones sproting out everywhere. It has an external filter two power heads and a protein skimmer. We have had a file fish for about two months now and had been absolutly fine. We had a large piece of medusa coral which was doing fantastically. We added the two new pieces of rock with polyps on and algae blenny today. All was well. Tests showed salinity 1.026. Temp 81f calcium 420. Nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ammonia 0 and phosphate 0.3. Phosphate is a tad high but we have been using a phosphate remover to lower it. Also with the rock today came a small peppermint crab tucked under a mushroom. As i said everything was fine since 5pm when released until about half an hour ago and now the algae blenny has flopped on his side too. The water has also gone quite cloudy. Almost like it did when it went through its bacterial bloom a month ago. Please help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 3 times a week. Its only a 60litre tank and the bottle says to add 3 ml we havent put any in today though

·
Registered
220 Posts
how many gallons and i would limmit to 2 or even 1 a week that may be causeing the problem when is the last time u did a water change?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry its 1ml phosphate remover we put in not 3ml. We did a partial change this morning before we went to the lfs.

We got the LR and blenny from a lfs. We have bought all our LR from there and its always been fine. Everything has now literally either died or completly wilted over to the floor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had washed my hands like normal with liquid soap but i always wash it off thoroughly. We did use glass cleaner of the outside of the tank but very sparingly and carefully with a cloth :-/ but nothing we dont usually do. We have just done a 30% change. I guess at the moment there isnt much else we can do til morning.
I guess one good thing is we just cought the 9inch bristle worm we had been after since we first bought the LR !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im afraid the bf has already disposed of the horrid creature!! So hairy! However there are atleast 2 more and one i know is even bigger than the one we just removed so when we catch the biggest beast il put up a pic!

·
Registered
220 Posts
what coral is the medussa coral and what other corals do u plan on getting i have a 8 gallon nano reef with a duncan green star pylop and a orange branching sponge plAN on getting a few more corals :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow i see a duncan coral today! Absolutly beautiful i really wanted one but was £96!!! :-0 so we opted against that one! I love the medussa coral its a soft coral really easy. (until now!) its a whitey pink colour a bit like a finger toadstool. We are goin to get the alsol nano reef light as it will make the medussa glow amazingly which are the lights that were on it when we bought it. We had a goniopora but done alot of research on them and decided to take it back! Think we will just get a few frags next. We like the fury tip anenome and the bubble coral too

1 - 20 of 30 Posts