The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 cardinal fish on Monday from Petland in Duluth....

Well I couldn't get them to eat anything....And one of them was at the bottom of the tank today....I tried flakes and brine shrimp...They would eat it put then spit it right back out....I even tried soaking it in garlic to see if they would take it but it just wouldn't work. They only have a 3 day return policy but should I try and return the other one....All levels are perfect...and the salt is at 1.023.......

All my other fish are fine...They are acting like they always have.....I thought cardinals were hardy fish...

Guess not

·
Registered
101 Posts
the fish in that store arent particularly healthy to start with. I know that they have alot of problems with Ick and are currently treating their whole system with copper. So maybe the fish were sickly to start with. Were they the pygmy cardinals? or the Banggaii cardinals? hm..

·
Registered
474 Posts
My understanding is that they like dark ledges and are more night time dwellers. Our Banggaii does not eat when he is stressed; we have seen him go up to 6 days without food when we quarantined him once. We have no luck with flake or other dried foods, but it does love live brine and frozen mysis and brine shrimp.

·
Registered
101 Posts
yup my bangaii behaved the same way. Also mine tended to like brine shrimp the best. Also ive heard that they need to be in groups to be able to feel comfortable enough to eat. i dont know if that is true though.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have just one and it eats extremely well; especially if we are feeding live brine. But it spends most of the daylight hours either in/beside or under our BTA. Before the BTA it spent a lot of time under a ledge, away from the bright lights. But you can see it swim all over at night.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys guys....

I took him back yesterday, and they wrote me a credit. I am no longer shopping at this store for live stock. He wrote a credit on the fish I returned but that was it. I wanted a credit for my dead one but he said no. When I asked him to feed the other Banggaii Cardinals that they had, they just ignored all the food and wouldn't eat anything....Now that means that all of their wild caught cardinals are not eating....They should have given me a credit for both but I guess 25 dollars is better than nothing. Besides I can get a 15 gallon tall from them to start my new sump project now......

Later
Clay

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi: Always, ask to see the fish eat before you buy it. I wouldn't buy a fish that was not eating in the store. For some reason, many of the wild caught bangaii's are not well. There is some parasite they get stricken with. There was a big article on them in Tropical Fish Hobbyist (Nov).

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Clay,

I would go back and talk to Zane. typically if you bring a body back, they should give you credit, especially if you are buying something in their shop, like your sump. Zane is getting some Local Bred Bangaiis in this week. I am having him hold me three for Lisa's tank but typically I like to see them eat and sometimes Zane will hold them for me for a bit. He quarenteened my Blue Spotted jawfish, when I requested it. (I did pay up front though). \

Ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts