The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you don't recommend floating for 15 minutes while gradually adding a little water to the bag every 5 minutes? Is this bad?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
You can do it that way dut the drip method is much more reliable. Its simple. Take a 2 QT lemonade mixing container and drill a hole in the side of it; towards the bottm, a litttle smaller then airline tubing. The take some airline tubing and place one end in boiling water for a secone, and fit it in the hole while its soft. It shouldnt leak if the hole is s little smaller than the diameter of the tubing. The just attach a air control valve at the end of the tubing to control a drip.

·
11,345 Posts
Honestly, for fish i float the bag for 15 minutes, then dump half the water out and replace with tank water. wait ten minutes and let the fish go. Never had a problem. For corals i do the same thing but dump and replace half the water 2 additional times and for invertebrates like snails and stars, featherdusters etc i drip acclimate.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Fly Guy said:
Honestly, for fish i float the bag for 15 minutes, then dump half the water out and replace with tank water. wait ten minutes and let the fish go. Never had a problem. For corals i do the same thing but dump and replace half the water 2 additional times and for invertebrates like snails and stars, featherdusters etc i drip acclimate.
I have never do done that. IDK if the drip is necessary, but I have used it for everything from the beginning and Everything goes smoothly. Bottom line_________________either will work efficently

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
unless you have a fish that needs to get out of the bag fast. i float for 15 the add a cup of tank water wait 5 then add another, after 5 more i let it go. i wopuld only mess with drip if it is a starfish.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I float the bag and then add water to it every 15-25 minutes. Goes back to my FW days and it works.
After I married my wife I had to do this because she has cats and they will more likely eat the fish if I did the drip thing.

·
11,345 Posts
Little Luey said:
I float the bag and then add water to it every 15-25 minutes. Goes back to my FW days and it works.
After I married my wife I had to do this because she has cats and they will more likely eat the fish if I did the drip thing.

:funny: If feline predation is an issue just dumping the new addition in the tank immediately is probably the safest way to acclimate

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I've never dripped my fish. I just float the bag 15 min then get them with a net and let them go. Never add the water from lfs to tank. My coral I drip for an hour then put them in the tank. No losses from this process.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
i dont acclimate anymore not for years
i just net them out of the bag and plop them in. never lost a fish this way.
clowns, blennies, rabbitfish, angels etc

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
pastina said:
i dont acclimate anymore not for years
i just net them out of the bag and plop them in. never lost a fish this way.
clowns, blennies, rabbitfish, angels etc
Oh please stop, there may be newbies reading this!!:agree:

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Little Luey said:
I also float then add water every 15 minutes for about an hour

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I'm reading this thinking wow i go over board then. I float the bag for 20 minutes. Then dump half the water out. I drip till the water gets twice as full. Dump half out. Keep driping till it gets twice as full again then put into the tank. Obviously I don't put any water back into the tank from the bag.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Little Luey said:
Oh please stop, there may be newbies reading this!!:agree:
What was it mom always said? Oh yeah "Do as I say not as I do!"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts