The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting 4 new Fish in Tomorrow, I will be drip acclimating, my question though is since they are coming from the same source, can they all be acclimated in the same bucket, with the water that comes out of the bags and acclimating with my water from my tank, or do I have to do them individually ?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Well be absulutley sure that they came from the same tank or the same system with sentrilized filtration ie there are a whole bunch of tanks connected to one giant filter/ sump so its the same water. And make sure they are compadtible and wont tare eachother apart in the small bucket.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've always just:

1) floated the bags in my tank for 30min to acclimate the temp, MAKE SURE EACH FISH IS IN ITS OWN BAG....

2) then after that, every 15min opened the bags and slowly poured half-cup of tank water into bags.... then reclose the bags with a twist-tie and with an airpocket while floating the bags.

3) do this four times (1hour) and then net and released the fish.... (never have lost a fish using this method and have done this dozens and dozens of times)

3) I always pour the remaining water in the bags down the drain.... you never know what could be in the water from wherever you're getting these fish from...(like copper treatments, other dips and chemicals)

quick story.... I also have a Discus tank and Discus are like $75-$100 a fish at the store.... one time I just acclimated the bag and then dump the fish and water all in the tank.... an older Discus in the tank worth about $150+ got sick and died in a week. I'm convinced it was something in that bag full of water. Stopped by the Discus-store and they said I was shxt-out-of-luck. They had my money and werent about to give it back or give me another fish.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Less stress separtly then all together! but yes if all from sameTank and/or big system.How big are the fish and your tank?That can be a big load on your system all at once.fresh water you can put in alot at a time but not SW.Slow is the key!

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
What kind of fish are you getting? that will determine the best acclimation procedure. Drip is only for the most sensitive critters in most cases. I would not mix the bags in any case... keep the water seperate just in case. are you going to QT them before adding to your main?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am getting 1 Purple tang, 1 convict Tang, 1 yellow watchman Goby, 1 Fire Shrimp, 1 Flame hawkfish and some nasarius and cerith snails with 3 Feather dusters, currently there is LR in my 29g QT tank there is no ammonia but they have only been there 45lbs since Thursday of last week, and they said they came cured but I put them in there anyway, can I put them in the QT tank, there has never been any meds added, and I cleaned them in saltwater before putting the rock in, it has no smell and looks good. My show tank is 125 gal with currently 15- 175 lbs LR and 160 pds LS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts