The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting a 10 gallon reef, was a fish only tank. Thinking of adding corals in the next couple of weeks. Just wondering about what kinds of corals are good for a first tank? I have 2 t5 lights 24w each, one 10000k and one atinic and have a heater and aquaon power filter, I know to stay away from power filters now that I have one, but I plan on adding live rock before the corals and just using the power filter to pass water over carbon. It has about an inch or two of sand on the bottom. Also I have a bio cube skimmer in it that I just put in it. I know to change the water about 10% every week, what else can/should I be doing to ensure the health of my reef?

Also if it helps the tank has a firefish and a hermit crab in it and has been running for about a month and a half and I use instant ocean salt and tap water to do water changes.

·
The Dude
468 Posts
Get your few pieces of live rock into the tank. Then wait for the rock to either cure or your tank to recycle. Then you can start looking at coral. Soft corals are usually good starter corals; leathers, green star polyps, mushrooms, and zoas.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

Yeah using ro/di water or distilled water will save you a lot of algae problems.

+1 soft corals are a good place to start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, because I have brown algea Like crazy right now. I was just thinking that the sand was responsible

1 - 6 of 6 Posts