Fluval Osaka 260L (70Ga) Bent Glass Tank

Stand:
Custom, Treated Pine with dark wood stain

Sump:
20G homemade

Protein Skimmer:
ASM G-3 Protein Skimmer

SUMP to tank pump:
SEN 600GA - I'll be replacing with a MAXI-JET 1800 in a couple of days when it arrives (this pump pushes too much water into the tank)

Powerhead:
Hydor Koralia Evolution Circulation Pump/Powerhead 1400 gph
I'll might be adding another one most likely but in the 750GPH range

Overflow tank:
unknown brand: 1" ID PVC pipe outlet

Lighting:
Marineland Reef Ready 36" LED Light Bar - I had one, the power connector was not functioning properly, So I returned it and am waiting on the replacement.
I am trying to find 2 spotlights for the live rock towers.

I am currently using about 52.2 pounds of liverock and do not know if I want any more.

Specific Gravity is holding at about 1.025 at the moment

Stuff to do:
* Saltwater Test Kits
*Live Sand - about 60 pounds
*Refugium Rubble

I am still deciding on the livestock, as I do not now if I want a cleanup crew and peaceful tank, or if I want a predator tank with snails and cucumbers and such. I am also interested in seeing what will grow if I just leave it alone for a couple of weeks/month.

Pictures to follow

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
sounds like an okay start. keep us updated.

GO slow. very slow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like an okay start. keep us updated.

GO slow. very slow.
Thank you, I have spent the last oh 4 months just gathering materials, today is the first time I've added live rock after maintaining specific gravity of 1.023 to 1.025 for over 3 months.

I've basically been circulating water for 3 months in order to be ready to begin curing live rock in the tank.

Thank you very much for the advice to go slow though, its a recurring theme amongst the posts I have read.

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
its what i try to stress on everyone starting in this hobby. its a very very important aspect that is far under looked by most. everyone wants to jump right it, and it ends up bitting them in the...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone recommend any decent spotlights, not too big just enough to give a some direct light onto the live rock towers?

The LED light bar is bright in the water, but I'm thinking about adding the spotlights to make the entire live rock towers stand out just a bit more.

I'm a big fan of the Japanese Aquaculture design, and they seem to use a ton of very large lights. I just want a couple of decently bright lights to help out the LED light bar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update,

I picked up my Marineland Reef Capable LED Light bar today.

Here is the setup with some fish added and lights.

·
Little Monster
838 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In all the research I have seen, if you wait out the first month or two without adding too much to the tank (in my case its 3 blue damsels) or using a frozen/dead shrimp just to add a bio load.

The tank will cycle and it may take a little while.

Once the cycle is complete the tank pretty much matures on its own without much intervention. (baring water changes and regular tank maintenance)A majority of the chemicals (with the exception of medication) seem to just be money down the drain. (kind of like dread lock wax.. it gets you the result you want and fast, but it won't last long and in the end causes more problems than if you were just patient in the beginning) The live rock/sand has all the natural bacteria that aquatic life needs. Let it do its thing and nature will take its course.

I could of course be completely wrong, I am new after all. I just read up on what some of the people who have done this for a long time or have had very successful tanks. Once I figure out what worked and didn't for them, I'll kind of cut my own path. In a year or two depending on my success I'll build guides just like everyone else does on what worked and what didn't work.

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
Geoff went over this in 1 thread... you dont need more bacteria. its already there. it just has to get adjusted to your load. the tank can only support a certain amount... add more and it will just even itself back out again.. so all that was wasted money.
Yeah, I agree, but according to the person that made this stuff, you can cycle your tank in a couple of weeks. He even said he used it in the Georgia, New England, and other big aquariums. I don't know if it's 100% true, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts