The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tested my water for the first time (not having a LFS do it) and my results are as follows
PH 8.3
Nitrate - as far as i could tell below 10
Nitrite- below 2
Amonia - 5

Why would i have such high amonia and how do i bring it down?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
time will bring it down, how long has the tank been set up. what size tank? what is in the tank? anything else you can tell us? if you want to write a book about your tank and post a ton of pictures its ok. we dont mind. just tell us everything you possible can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 24 gallon Nano Cube that has been set up for 4 months now. I have 2 percula clowns, zoes, and some brain coral. The back of the tank i turned into a type of refugium and gutted the bio balls and activated carbon that came with it. I run the lights 10 hours a day. The salinity is at 1.024 and the temp is 78 degresse. Everything seems to be ok i have alot of coralline alge growing and the fish look happy. I also get along of brown alge, i assume its from tap water. As far as day to day maitinence i add pickiling lime in the morning and reef builder at night.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah my LFS gets $9.99 a pound for live rock so its a little on the skimpy side.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
Loverotties said:
You need 36 to 48 lbs of LR to have a full biological filtering system for the tank.
At least 36lbs to have a good filtration.

If you want you can get base rock to add to your tank. Its cheaper and over time it will become live with all the coraline and bacteria that live rock has.

Tim

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
Ok i would switch over to RO/DI water that the LFS sells or even Distilled water from Walmart at 59cents a gallon ASAP because of the corals. How long have you had the corals in the tank? What test kits did you use to test your water? When the LFS was testing your water what were the tests coming out as?

Tim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used a fasTest Master kit(MK-2000) . I also tested my tap water for ammonia and it came out to be zero. So im gonna test the tank again and double check the ammonia.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Maybe a protein skimmer would help remove more waste. Also, how much and how often are you feeding the fish? Most everyone here recommends the Salifert test kits as the most accurate. HTH

·
Registered
396 Posts
cody said:
Yeah my LFS gets $9.99 a pound for live rock so its a little on the skimpy side.
which LFS are you going to? I used to live in gainesville and I know aquatropics at the corner of 34th and 20th by kash and karry had live rock cheaper than 9.99, at least they did a year ago when I lived there. Also, there is another one on archer rd about 5 miles west of i-75. they are a bit more pricey but have some nice corals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts