The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Dawson Creek, British Columbia, Canada!

I've spent the last several weeks researching, reading, watching, and learning all about the reef tank world, and I think I am getting close to starting my first tank!

I've got a few questions, hopefully some of you can answer for me! First off let me say how jealous I am of you guys in the USA with your availability and online selection for the saltwater enthusiast. It's a little trickier to do up here, especially if you live in a small town like I do.

First I will list what I have planned and then on with the questions. (I am also open to changes or suggestions to my list!)

Tank & Equipment:
Innovative Marine AIO - Nuvo 16

Rock & Sand:
15-20lbs cured - live rock
15lbs live sand
<O:p</O:p
Invertabrates:
-Pom Pom Crab
-Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
-Electric Blue Hermit Crabs
-Pistol Shrimp (w/ goby)
- Various CUC shrimp
Fish:
-Ocellaris Clown Pair
-Yellow Watchmen Goby
Soft Corals:
-Musrooms (colored variety)
-Zoas (colored variety)
-Polyps (colored variety)
-Pipe Organ
-Xenia
-Finger leather
-Kenya Tree Coral

Question 1:
My first question (and probably most important) is in relation to the AIO tank. (Innovative Marine Nuvo 16) I am not exactly sure what else I will need for equipment besides what comes in the package? What neccesities do I need? and what luxuries (extras that will make life easier) would you suggest to pair with an AIO tank?

Question 2:
Salt Water. Unfortunately I do not have access to premade saltwater anywhere close so it looks like I will have to make my own. Luckily though I work at a Natural Gas Plant, and I do have access to some Reverse Osmosis de-iosinized water that is used in our Amine Process. My question is, is all RO/DI water the same? Or are there diffrent types and degrees of RO/DI water? Are there certain tests I should do to ensure it is in fact the right water?

Question 3:
Canadian Memebers, I haven't noticed if there are many on this forum. If there are, do you have any suggestions for suppliers? I am getting ready to place an order with goreef.com for the tank, equipment and test kits. But how about animal life, rock, coral, fish, and inverts, are there any candian places that ship? Or will I be making 5 hour drives to Edmonton...lol

Thanks for any advice or help you may offer! And I look forward to posting my progress as I build my first tank,

Kyle.

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
not sure about the tank you talking about is it 16 gallons if so its to small for all the fish you want.
as far as the water check it with a tds meter and if it reads 000 your good to go just add your salt and let it mix a while .
im sure more people will add more good luck with your tank

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as far as the water check it with a tds meter and if it reads 000 your good to go just add your salt and let it mix a while .
im sure more people will add more good luck with your tank
Thanks for the heads up on a TDS meter, I'll add it to my order!

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
no prob hope your tank work good

·
Registered
386 Posts
i dont know too much but i'm a beginner also so i thought maybe i could help you out a little as i had some of the same questions. you might want to get a blue actinic light to make your corals colors really pop. i would look into an Auto Top Off System, this is more a luxury if you don't want to top off with freshwater every day, it works well with a nano tank if you can afford it, some cheap DIY setups can go for less than $50 with two float switches. other necessities are a thermometer obviously and then most likely a small heater, hydrometer (should really spend the extra $30-40 for a refractometer for accurate readings). looks like you need a small powerhead too for water circulation. and that seems like it may be a bit too much live rock for you tank, I'm not an expert by any means, but I believe you want around 10-12 lbs for that size tank. you can probably get away with the two clowns, but a Yellow Watchmen Goby should really have at least 30 gallons if you want him to have a happy and full life in your tank. again, im no expert either, i just started my 10g nano and had a few of the same questions as you so i thought i could help

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
kyle hows the tank going did you ever get it set up?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Honestly I think the number of fish is ok for that size tank. You just have to keep up with your water changes. I have 4 fish in my 20 gallon, 2 ocellaris, a royal gramma, and a small goby and theyre all fine and the params are perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts