The Reef Tank banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Professional newbie!
489 Posts
I guess I'm lucky guys. I have 2 clams in my tank and they seem to both be very happy with one another. Sometimes I really don't have to care for them. They just take care of oneanother when I'm away.

· Registered
463 Posts
That is every clam keepers dream. All clam keepers strive to achieve such nirvana. However, a lot of the clams usually break off into groups and it can play out to be total warfare between all of them. That is where an exceptional specimen of a cuke comes into play, so that it is there to clean up the remains, and keep the remaining clams happy.

· Professional newbie!
489 Posts
You can sell them off but I believe its only legal in Austria.

· Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ok, I know that clams get diseases, but I have seen what seem to be perfectly healthy clams look good for years...then oneday I will come home and there are crabs all over the clam. How can this happen....I haven't been home all day, and "I" didn't add anything to the tank?

· Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,340 Posts
Hmmmm... It depends... The clam can get crabs in a few ways, but all of them involve physical contact of some sort... If something that was used on another clam had gotten crabs on it, then the clam could have gotten it that way... Perhaps it was the pool guy... Maybe he was messing in the tank and was playing with the clam while you were gone...

As mentioned before, crab infestation can happen only through prysical contact... HTH

· Registered
463 Posts
There are several options to rid your clams of crabs. One can use several manual methods to physically remove them. However, that is not 100% effective. A good way to do it, is to get a friend, and have them tag team looking for crabs in the tank. Additionally this friend may have several other methods that only more experience can bring.

· Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks Stoney.

Hey I am surfing the net for pictures of clams, and have noticed something.

A few of these have hair algea all over them, others just have a patch or two, and some don't have any at all...its this because of the tank parameters, owner preference or just species?

· Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,340 Posts
Ahhhhhh..... the infamous Bearded Clam...

Yeah, I've ran into a few of these... Mostly it's owners preference... some of them like the "weathered" look and think the large patch of hair looks more natural... I tend to like my clams nice and clean...

The best method I've found was to take a pair of small cuticle scissors and trim it up a bit.... In my book, there's nothing better than a maticulously trimmed clam......

· Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
hmm.....funny that must be most peoples preference. Most of the sights I found had TONS of pictures of really really "natural" ones, but if you wanted to see the rest you had to "register" and they asked for credit card numbers.

· Professional newbie!
489 Posts
The hair algae grows around and on the clam naturally. Its generally an accepted practice for the reef keeper to trim back the hair algae on a semi regular basis. Generally its done for purely aesthtic reasons.

HTH

· Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ok,
Another question for you guys. Like I said most of the clams I have had were either hitchikers or charity cases. I want a really nice clam but every where I go to get one I am expected to pay for it...whats up with that? I am so used to getting the clams for free, is it really worth the money for a good one?

· Professional newbie!
489 Posts
Well you can buy them but keep in mind the real cheap one are probbaly in bad condition. Either too old or just generally unhealthy. What you need to do is save up some serious $$ and invenst in a very high quality clam.

· Professional newbie!
489 Posts
Keep in mind, when you do find the "right" clam you may invest a lot of cash into it but it will give you years of enjoyment. If your smart and careful you may be able to squeeze another clam in your tank.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.