The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to keep SPS and Clams in my new tank, but I know there are some things out there that feed on them. Ive done lots of reading on the SPS but I haven't found much on clam predators. Anything I should avoid in my clean-up crew when I am starting out that my cause my clam problems down the road?

Dave

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Crabs could be an issue.... So long as you keep a fairly clean tank and keep the crabs at bay you should be alright.... If you do have a crab problem though, let me know..... There's many methods available for cleaning your clam....

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Most of the clam predators are pyramylid (or something like that) snails that come in on them. The standard reef clean-up crew is clam-safe. Just don't get any chocolate chip stars.

Note that anything will scavange a dying clam - although it sure looks like otherwise.

Danielle

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Danielle I have always wanted one but I was always told "I don't have what it takes to keep it happy" but hopefully this time will be different!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't get me wrong I have had a few clams, but they have all been hitchikers!

·
1,262 Posts
Yeah, but the hitchikers aren't really the keepers... Ya really need to do some searching before ya find one ya want to keep...

·
1,262 Posts
Well, you want a really good looking one with a nice shape... When ya hold it, take a whiff of it and make sure it doesn't smell too fishy...

Also, make sure the holes aren't obstructed by anything.. Sometimes they get crud or something that obstructs the flow and could cause problems... If there's any crud, it can be cleaned, but ya have to wonder how well it's been kept up until the time you've found it....

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think this thread is degrading quickly.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If your clam is degrading, you have to find the cause before you lose it. Since the requirements are determined by the type of clam, a lot of them can be very high maintainance. This is usually fixed by throwing money at the problem.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have heard of clams closing up in thier owners tanks, but as soon as you put the clam in another persons tank it opens up like it has never opened up before.....what would cause this?

·
1,262 Posts
It's prob because the other person has more money to put into the tank to keep the clam happy... It goes back to the high maintenance factor... If someone else has more money to put into their tank, then the clam will seek to be elsewhere...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, lets say I through more money at my tank.....now my clam is happy, but now with this nice new tank I want a better clam..what are my options?

·
1,262 Posts
Well, depending on how you feel about the situation, you can keep multiple clams...

Also, the clams themselves may not like the situation... It's prob best to keep them secluded from one another... Otherwise the situation can really destroy the whole tank in no time at all and end up costing you a LOT of money.....

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOAH WOAH WOAH...are you telling me I might have to set up a tank for EACH clam.... just so I can get some variety? that is crazy......

What if I just get a clam, keep it awhile, then when I am ready for a new clam I just ignore the old one till it goes away?

·
1,262 Posts
That can happen.... but when the old clam feels neglected, they can end up causing serious problems in the tank... It may not break the bank, but it could easily cost you half of what you put into it..

1 - 20 of 54 Posts