The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
spsaddict
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was wondering what was your first setup ever mine was 3 years ago
(reef tank that is) my real first setup was when i was about 10 years of age it was a 10 gallon fresh water tank with some green/black gravel with an undergravel filter and about 10 feeder goldfish oh yeah and a sunken ship that through out bubbles wich i found amazing ever since i got bit.
then in late 2003 i got my first reef it was a 40 gallon breeder with a coralife fixture an emperor 400 hob oh yeah let me not forget the via aqua skilter wich i later upgraded to a seaclone 150:drool: my fish tank was named
THE NITRATE FACTORY from there on ive learned alot thanks to great forums like trt ty trt for your support and advice wich makes this hobby intresting and fun every single day.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
First one for me was a 55 gallon, with NO lights and a CPR BackPak skimmer and Emporer filter. Filled it with base rock, and it was nice for a while until my well water and excessive feeding made it an impressive algae showcase.

·
spsaddict
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well even though it was my little nitrate factory it was manly mushrooms with some lps and the tank did great oh yeah never had any hair algea either (jusy cyano) lol

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Other than Betta's and Gold fish growing up - My First Marine tank was in 92 or 93 55g Fish Only/Crushed coral/ Dead coral skeletons for decoration/magnum canister filter. Biggest problem was putting way to many large agressive fish in such a small tank. After I killed everything I turned the tank into a habitat for a 6-7" Red Devil cichlid when Burt died in 98 or 99 I tore down the tank and sold it.

1st reef is a 24g nano cube set up 2-2005 2nd 5.5g & 3rd 95 reef set up Fall 2005 all are still up and running 4th tank is waiting to be built

·
Registered
257 Posts
Our first tank was just last Oct., 29g fresh with some barbs. In Nov. we acquired a 55g fresh, then in Jan '07 46g bowfront reef, March '07 100g reef, lst month 115g reef. Got no more money and no more space. Sure is fun, though.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
My first reef tank was in 99, a 45 gallon hex that I built for freshwater initially (in high school). I kind of which I still had that tank, but I sold it for about $20.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My first one 20 years ago, was a 52 gal, with under gravel filter using powerheads and a Magnum 350 filter.

For lights I had four 4' tubes, 1 black light, 2 blue shop lights, and 1 pinkish one (or was it a plant light? I dont recall)

Crushed coral for the bottom

For Livestock I had a Lion fish, 2 Blue with yellow tailed Damsels, a Clown + Anemone , a few other fish, some snails, and big hermit crab that ate the Anemone (after the anemone stung me as I was trying to save it from the hermit crab).

I only wish I would have taken pictures of it back then.

What we did with little technology :)

I took it down and gave the fish away when I got transfered to a new Navy base.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
First tank was a 29 gallon gold fish tank when I was 8 or 9. Been going since then. My first SW tank was a 55 about 7 years ago I guess. I got hung up on planted tanks, cichlid and breeding tanks for a number of years.

·
spsaddict
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i also had a planted tank with some neon tetras and some flying foxes then until the snais took over tore it down and made it a 55g fowlr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts