The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've just bought a secondhand 12 gallon tank which has built in lights, filtration and skimmer. Live Rock has been in for just over a week now and it seems to be cycling well.
Has just started to get brown diatome algae which I believe is quite normal in a new tank and will disappear on it's own?
Got a fair few hitchhikers from the live rock - lots of little brittle-star starfish, a normal tiny starfish, couple of peanut worms and hair-worms, what looks like a tiny baby conch, and several glass anemones. Last night I saw a big brown flat-worm which I'll need to catch and get rid of as I understand they are bad! Same goes for the anemones!

I'm a pretty experienced tropical fish-keeper but complete novice marine aquarist. so I'm looking forward to learning and getting lots of information from this site!

Will post a picture when I manage to take a good one!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Welcome to TRT and let me say for a novice, it looks like you have really done your research. Props on that. Yes the diatoms will go away, but you could get a clean up crew to get rid of it faster. I would just advise to wait it out since it's normal.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Greetings!
I am new to this wonderful salt water world as well. I have a 14 gallon 'Bio-Cube' which is an all-inclusive tank. I cycled it for a week with live rock, live sand, and some pre-made salt water from my local fish store. I didn't get much brown algae buildup. I added a clown fish after the first week, and he looks fantastic. He eats like a pig! I did a 25% water change after week two. I have added a Royal Gramma as of yesterday (My second week of having the tank up and running). I can only add one more fish due to the size. I believe the rule of thumb is: "One inch of fish per five gallons of water". With a ten gallon tank, it seems you will only be able to get two small critters, maybe three, depending on how much room your live rock takes up.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Oh, I wanted to really emphasize, if you have a fish store close by and they sell the pre-made salt water by the gallon, it is a great way to go. I too, am a novice with salt water tanks. The benefit of the pre-made stuff is that it is cheap (About $1 U.S. per gallon), and there is no need to worry if it has been mixed right. My local fish shop is all professional. I was very happy with the water parameters with their salt water.

After the first week of cycling, I took a small water sample to them. They tested it for free, and felt that I was ready for my first fish (My wild caught ture perc clown). He has been wonderful! Beautiful colors, active and hungry!!

Just before the end of week two, I bought some easy to read water test strips at my favorite (Or favourite as you "Brits" would say) fish store. The test strips are easy to read and check the PH, Nitrates and Nitrites, which shows whether your water is healthy. The brand name I got is, "API".

At week two, I did a three gallon water change. I tested the water again, and everything is fantastic. A day later, I added the Royal Gramma.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll definately be getting a cleanup crew soon. Might hold off on any fish until later on when I see everything is going alright. I'll be doing a small water change in a day or two when I check the levels, and then I think we're good to go for some little critters!:worm:

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Greetings!
I am new to this wonderful salt water world as well. I have a 14 gallon 'Bio-Cube' which is an all-inclusive tank. I cycled it for a week with live rock, live sand, and some pre-made salt water from my local fish store. I didn't get much brown algae buildup. I added a clown fish after the first week, and he looks fantastic. He eats like a pig! I did a 25% water change after week two. I have added a Royal Gramma as of yesterday (My second week of having the tank up and running). I can only add one more fish due to the size. I believe the rule of thumb is: "One inch of fish per five gallons of water". With a ten gallon tank, it seems you will only be able to get two small critters, maybe three, depending on how much room your live rock takes up.
you do have to take into account the full size of the fish at adult hood, and depending on the type of clown which can get 4 to 5 inches your already over stocked.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Oh, I wanted to really emphasize, if you have a fish store close by and they sell the pre-made salt water by the gallon, it is a great way to go. I too, am a novice with salt water tanks. The benefit of the pre-made stuff is that it is cheap (About $1 U.S. per gallon), and there is no need to worry if it has been mixed right. My local fish shop is all professional. I was very happy with the water parameters with their salt water.

After the first week of cycling, I took a small water sample to them. They tested it for free, and felt that I was ready for my first fish (My wild caught ture perc clown). He has been wonderful! Beautiful colors, active and hungry!!

Just before the end of week two, I bought some easy to read water test strips at my favorite (Or favourite as you "Brits" would say) fish store. The test strips are easy to read and check the PH, Nitrates and Nitrites, which shows whether your water is healthy. The brand name I got is, "API".

At week two, I did a three gallon water change. I tested the water again, and everything is fantastic. A day later, I added the Royal Gramma.
don't put to much trust into those test strips they are known to be wrong alot.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
I'll definately be getting a cleanup crew soon. Might hold off on any fish until later on when I see everything is going alright. I'll be doing a small water change in a day or two when I check the levels, and then I think we're good to go for some little critters!:worm:
that would be your best bet, i just redid my 75 and it's been running for over a month now and it will be atleast another month before i add a clean up crew.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts