The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an empty 10 gallon aquarium. i am wondering if it is possible to create it into something i will need later on. breeder tank, refugium, maybe even both. i am hoping to really make it into a refugium, since i already have a sump. what do i need? i have some sugar size sand i am going to add into my already set 125 gallon aquarium, and i am willing to take some out of there. i ahev no corals, but i need somewhere to put my anemone. i bought two, and instead got three. i returned two of them, and put one in my tank. i thought i would give it to a friend of mine, then found out he had given away his tank. i now know that my anemony isnt too agressive for my tank after all, but if i put my anemone in my tank my clownfish will fight over it. that is the reason i need two anemones. i want to keep one in there with some tank water until i buy another. the thing is, i do not have any space for it. is it allright to keep it outside? it will have a llid on it, and it will also have a pump for circulation. i cannot keep it indoors, as my parents said that two tanks indoors was enough. i am worried about where to put it. what do i need, and what can i do to keep my anemone alive untill further notice? someone please respond to this asap. i have it in a styrofoam box, and i know that that is not enough for it. i want it to feel as confortable as possible. i am only fourteen and have some tubes, and five bucks. definitely not too prepared. i also have the food for the anemone. someone, please help me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is 3' but my skimmer is external and with the tubes and everything, it comes to about 5', and that leaves about a foot on the side of the aquarium for a quarentine tank (had a refugium mixed up with a quarantine) that foot is half covered up, so if i did manage to figure out how to make a quarenting, i would not know how to put it in there. would it be possible to make and keep a quarentine in my tank?

·
Administrator
18,762 Posts
Ah...you don't really want a tank outside because of variations in temperature that can occur, increased evaporation, and the possibility of other animals or debris etc getting in the tank. I was hoping you had room under the cabinet since that would be a great place for it. 10 gallons is the minimum size I would ever use for a QT and even that won't work for all fish. A tang would be super stressed hanging out in there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh. i have tangs already. i am going to use it for blennys, gobys, firefish, etc. small animals. my garage is usually the same temperature as it is indoors. i also have a heater, since here in palatine il it is going go be winter soon. just going into august. i have no more space, except on the floor and even there my parents don't want it. they want it somewhere where it can't be seen. my garage has the space, but i don't know too much about the lighting. i have a desk lamp, one of the bendy neck ones, that i can use for it. i have a lid for the 10 gallon, and i have some food. i can put in some sand and live rock in it. i need something fast because i accidentaly mixed a condy anemone with red legged hermit crabs. i don't know why. of all the anemones at the lfs i bought this one. also, i found out my clownfish won't host it. i want to put it there for a day-a week until somebody wants to buy it. i will post it on craiglist.

·
Administrator
18,762 Posts
I don't exactly count the garage as outdoors if it has a garage door so that does change my answer. In there temperature and airborne byproducts from car exhaust are going to be your two main issues. You only need very basic lighting if the QT is for fish only. If you are going to QT corals then you need lighting that will keep them alive. Coral dipping is a good alternative to coral QT.

Of course you could always tell your parents the people on TRT said "PLEASE" :) ...and then maybe they would let you have it in the house. Hopefully they understand that what you want to do shows how seriously you are taking this and that you want to do the right thing.

You can't really do a QT fast though, because like other tanks it needs to cycle.

I don't see the problem having the condy with the red-legged hermits.

No, most clown species (with some exceptions) won't host with it but it can still be kept in the main display until you are able to get rid of it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
have read online and been told by people on another thread thaty red legged hermits are "natural born predators" of the condy anemone. i am goint o put some tank water and sand into the qt. i can leave it with the filter on for a day and then i also have a maxijet 1200 i am planning to put on a corneer of the tank for circulation. i have gotten used to my aquarium and i need something else to do. not that i'm tired of the aquarium, but i am one of those that needs to be kept busy.

·
Administrator
18,762 Posts
I've kept the two in the same tank without issues. The only thing I ever had that ate the condy was my coral banded shrimp. I am not saying the crabs won't ever eat it...they do all sorts of odd things but as for never being able to keep them in the same tank...I have. If you put them in the same tank and have a problem let me know. Or better yet take a video of them doing it.

Reefkeeping isn't really a good hobby (in my opinion) for someone who really has to have something new every day. There comes a point in our reefs where we just sit back and let them grow and do the regular mundane things like water changes.

For the small fish you could easily put that tank on the floor, or a shelf, or perhaps it would fit long-wise in the stand of your 125 gallon.

I do not currently have a QT because I am not adding anything into my tank. I won't be for a while. I am in the process of getting a 125 gallon tank. When I do my two tanks will both be broken down and placed in it. I won't be adding anything for months.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh, i only meant the busya thing because i have a lot to do. if i have nothing to do i sometimes just sit back and watch the fish swim in their odd patterns. can my qt tank be in the dark?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i understand what you mean witht he new fish daily thing. i know that patience is the key to reefkeeping.what would be recomended lighting for a qt?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts