The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im starting my first reef tank i have been reading on the subject and talked to one of my friends who has had one forever and im really excited i have purchased a 48 by 24 by 25 inch tank with stand Eshopps wet/dry filter and protein skimmer 2 1400gph powerheads and a couple nano 420gph powerheads a light fixture with 2 250watt metal halides 2 56watt T5 lights and some lunar lights im still shopping around for the rest of my equipment but i would like some tips and as must information i can get from anyone knowledgable

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Bob Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" was my first book. It starts with the basics. It will pay for itself many times over.

Delbeek & Sprung's "The Reef Aquarium... Volume 3" will go more into depth. It will take a while to get through this book.

You'd be hard pressed to find someone more knowledgable than those three names.

·
Registered
261 Posts
That's a lot of light for a 120 how are you planning on cooling the tank? What are you planning on keeping as far as corals?

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's a lot of light for a 120 how are you planning on cooling the tank? What are you planning on keeping as far as corals?
There's no such a thing as "too much of light" he can use MH for main lighting and the 2 T5HO just for Actinics supplements.

would probably get some stronger/ or couple more powerheads, I have 55G with almost 3000GPH of flow just from my power heads and still planning on adding some more.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Note I asked what he was planning on keeping.. Over 600watts of light for a fish only or soft coral setup is overkill.it means more electricity, more chances of algae blooms, and a hotter tank... Fans alone may do it but it means more evaporation...if he is doing hard corals then yes I see how he would need that much light. I didn't say it was too much light just a lot of light but it depends on what he is putting into it

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i plan on keeping a mixture of hard and soft corals

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's no such a thing as "too much of light" he can use MH for main lighting and the 2 T5HO just for Actinics supplements.

would probably get some stronger/ or couple more powerheads, I have 55G with almost 3000GPH of flow just from my power heads and still planning on adding some more.
i have turning your tank over around 15-20 times is plenty im still trying to figure out the best postioning for them i have 2 1200gph and 4 425gph powerheads i believe those should be pretty good for now and if i need some more i will take back 2 425s and get a bigger size i set up my w/d filter and my return pump to make sure the water levels in the tank would stay stable and thankfully i ran it for 2 hours and there were no drops or increases of water in the sump

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Note I asked what he was planning on keeping.. Over 600watts of light for a fish only or soft coral setup is overkill.it means more electricity, more chances of algae blooms, and a hotter tank... Fans alone may do it but it means more evaporation...if he is doing hard corals then yes I see how he would need that much light. I didn't say it was too much light just a lot of light but it depends on what he is putting into it
the room that the tank will be in has a overhead mitsubish electric a/c and heater that i keep the room at 69 degrees all day so im hoping that will counter heat from lighting if not i will put a fan up

·
Registered
261 Posts
Haha at 69 I doubt you will need a fan at all... I'm too cheap to run my ac below 78 hence I limit amount of light and what I care for.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol yeah these are like individual a/c units they arent window units but are built into the wall what we do is turn main house a/c off and let these little units cool a single room or upstairs or basement

1 - 11 of 11 Posts