The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, been looking at Live Aquaria for hrs trying to narrow down the list of fish that I'd like to get that I thought would work with one another.

I don't have anything yet, but this list. I plan on getting a 5ft long tank (100'ish gallons) with 20gal sump/fuge and skimmer.

I'm thinking a minimalist reef tank with a fair amount swimming room would be best for the species I have picked.

Here goes...

Fish
- Powder Brown Tang
- Chevron Tang (I've heard conflicting reports about this one regarding min tank size)
- Yellow Pyramid Butterfly
- Red Mandarin (It'll be one of my latter additions so pod will be able)
- Ocellaris Clown (only one as I hear mated pair can be territorial)
- Royal Gramma Basslet
- Yellow Prawn Goby

Inverts
- Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp
- 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
- Bubble Tip Anemone

My concerns are...
- Will that size tank be too cramped for the 2 tangs?
- Is it likely the Mandarin will have too much food competition with the Goby and the Butterfly?

Thanks.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I'm gonna move this to General Reef Discussion for you.... you will get alot more responses there...

·
C'est la vie
4,118 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!! :wavey:

First a few questions for you, have you ever had a SW tank before? Can you post a list of equipment you are thinking about so we can help you get the best equipment for your money?

Ok, now to answers :)

- I would only put 1 tang in a tank unless its a really big tank. Usually tangs are aggressive towards their own kind or anything that looks like them. Id pick 1 and stick with that.

- Regarding the mandarin, I would wait. They are really tricky to get to eat unless you get an ORA mandarin.

- With the oscellaris clown, I prefer them in pairs. I bought 1, and 2 weeks later bought a black one. They took to each other and became buddies, until my black one took a little jump out of the tank and landed in a cup. When i noticed he was gone, what actually made me notice was my orange clown seemed depressed. I bought him a new black friend and now he is happy again. I had a scooter blenny too and they were never aggressive towards him or any other tank mates.

As far as everything else goes, it looks like a good list! Obviously you have been doing your reading which is the most important part. The fact that your not starting out with a list of fish you want 3 miles long is really important and a good sign :thumbup:

Good luck, if you have any questions at all thats what we are here for!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

i think even a 5ft tank is to small for the powder brown tank. the Chevron will be fine though.

i think the mandarin is a not go.

the pyramid butterfly is a planktonivore, so it will not be competing with the mandarin for pods. the problem with the mandarin is that they like high nutrient systems. the system you are describing will not be high nutrient. if it does end up as high nutrient it will be overgrown with algae and will drive you nuts. mandarins are not a good idea for any but the very largest of reef tanks. mainly because even in huge tanks there will be small areas of increased nutrient areas that will provide food for enough pods to feed a single mandarin. in most of our tanks there is just not enough of these areas to support a mandarin naturally, and finding ones that eat prepared foods is extremely hit or miss.

G~

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
Agreed 60 inches is not enough space for a powder brown tang. At least 72" (6 feet) is a requirement.

As for the mandarin, even with a large tank you will have trouble with these guys. Don't underestimate their difficulty.

Also I would wait a year before you add a nem to the tank as they need very stable water parameters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I changed my list around a bit as well as upped my desired tank size (125g/6ft tank)

I do realize the mandarin needs a well established tank with ample pod supply. I plan on keeping cheato in a fuge to help supplement that.

In addition I do realize the BTA needs perfect water conditions... I won't be putting that in for at least 3 months worth of stable water parameters.

Fish...

- Chevron Tang
- Zoster Butterfly
- Yellow Pyramid Butterfly
- Pair of Ocellaris Clownfish
- Royal Gramma Basslet
- Green Mandarin
- Yellow Prawn Goby

Inverts...

- Red Banded Snapping Shrimp (AKA Randall's, Candy Cane)
- Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
- Bubble Tip Anemone
- Various Snails (still undecided)
- Various Corals (still undecided)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is my first crack at saltwater.

I been researching these fish as my starting point... that and looking on Craigslist for used set-ups I can afford.

I figured a stock list is a good place to start for picking out a suitable sized tank.

I don't want to be the guy with a Geo Metro that wants to drive 120mph.

·
C'est la vie
4,118 Posts
great way to do things. plan the system around the inhabitants you want is one of the best pieces of advice i have ever been given. the list looks good to me, im not sure about the butterfly being reef safe or not but i know the pyramid has a shorter nose and might not pick at coral. they might eat your inverts though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just a word about that Yellow Prawn Goby, I never see mine, unless I look from the bottom of my tank up. it always hides, and never comes out, and it feeds under his rock. that tank is a bare bottom setup. also if he pairs with the shrimp, it may come out a lot more. just thought I would let you know just in case ;)
I picked that one mainly for it's coloration and symbiosis with the shrimp. Anyone got any suggestions for something comparable that isn't as reclusive?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts