The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

Brand spanking new to the Saltwater world after having kept tropical freshwater off and on or many years.

I just purchased an AGA 125 gallon "reef ready sort-of" used tank that is 72"x18"x22".

The reason I say "sort-of" is that the holes are drilled (2 in each back corner, 1.5" holes I believe) however they are plugged as the last guy was going to put freshwater fish in it but never did. The overflows have been removed and are in tough shape. I've got to figure out how to get them replaced.

I have nothing except the tank and the stand right now. All of my freshwater stuff is geared for a 75 gallon tank, so I'll have to basically start fresh.

Right now we are trying to come up with what will live in the tank. These are the species we have thought about so far. I would really like to get your thoughts. Also, good beginner/intermediate book recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

(2)-True Percula Clownfish(Amphiprion percula)
(3)-Spotted Pajama Cardinalfish(Sphaeramia nematoptera)
(3)-Threadfin Cardinalfish(Apogon leptacanthus)
(1)-Yellow Tang(Zebrasoma flavescens)
(1)-Blue Tang(Paracanthurus hepatus)
(1)-Kole Tang(Ctenochaetus strigosus)
(1)-Orange Spotted Goby(Amblyeleotris guttata)
(1)-Neon Goby(Elacatinus/Gobiosoma oceanops)
(?)-Peppermint Shrimp(Lysmata wurdemanni)
(?)-Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp(Lysmata amboinensis/grabhami)
(?)-Banded Coral Shrimp(Stenopus hispidus)
(?)-Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab(Paguristes cadenat)
(?)-Blue legged Hermit Crab(Clibanarius tricolor)
(?)-Emerald Mithrax Crab(Mithrax sculptus)
(?)-Sally Lightfoot Crab(Percnon gibbesi)
(?)-Astrea Snail(Astraea tecta)
(?)-Cerith Snail
(?)-Nerite Snail
(?)-Nassarius Snail
(?)-Planaxis Snails
(?)-American Star Shell Snail(Astraea techta americana)
(?)-Limpets
(?)-Sand-sifting Sea Star
(?)-Brittle Star
(?)-Pink Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral(Sarcophyton)
(?)-Feather Duster
(1)-Ritteri or Magnificent Anemone(Heteractis magnifica)
(?)-Sebae Anemone(Heteractis crispa)
(?)-Bubble Anemone(Entacmaea quadricolor)
(?)-Florida Pink Tipped Anemone(Condylactis gigantea)

Thanks!
Greg

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Hi and welcome to TRT!!!!!
Looks like an okay fish list! The anenomes will need high intensity lighting like metal halide an it is recomended that they be placed in a mature well established tank, like a year old. With the crabs, (the hermits for the most part) they ar known to oportunistic feeders. They wil eat whtever they can. If they want a new shell thy wont hesitate to evict a snail, munch on him and steal th shell. That siad, this isnt a hard fast rule. Ive had good an ba crabs (in my tank!;)) so it can be a hit an miss thing. The emeralds are great IMO and are a great addition.

Again, welcome to TRT! Looking forwrd to the build!

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

Along with what motorslave said, I would take the coral banded shrimp off the list as well. They are also opportunistic feeders and may start out nice when they are small, but go after fish and other inverts as they get bigger. Skunk cleaners and peppermints would be fine together.

Are your plans to go with Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR) or are you wanting a full blown reef system? You need to be aware up front that nothing good in a reef happens fast. I would suggest you read the new bi-weekly discussion thread on cycling your new tank, it will help you a lot.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions out here, there are a bunch of great people with loads of experience that will steer you in the right direction.

Good luck with your new adventure. :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Welcome! This is a great place, and you'll learn a tone here.

I like that you are taking the time now to think about a stocking list since you'll have a few months to really refine your thoughts and get lots of feedback from the folks here. After doing the mods to your tank for the overflow (and closed loop system - CLS?!), curing your live rock and cycling the tank, you'll want to think about the clean-up crew CUC. You have some good choices already listed. I like to have Asterea, Trochus, Cerith, and Nerite snails at the heart of my CUC. Be forewarned that that the Asterea may need some help righting themselves (kind of annoying). Also, with a sand bed, I love Nassarius snails. Steer clear of Margarita and Bumble Bee Snails (and maybe Turbos-they are kinda bruiserish-lol). You might find these articles worthwhile:

Best Snails for the Saltwater Tank - Four Snails Species for the Marine Aquarium Clean-Up Crew

Questionable Clean-Up Crew Snails - Some Clean-Up Crew Snails to Maybe Avoid in your Saltwater Tank

I agree with shrimp comments above. IF you get peppermint shrimp, make sure they are Lysmata wurdemanni and not Rhynchocinetes durbanensis, R. uritai or L. californica (these guys are simetimes sold as peppermint shrimp, but the first two are not reef-safe and the last is not a tropical species). Here is a brief article on these common Peppermint Shrimp imposters:

Peppermint Shrimp Imposters - Lysmata wurdemanni is the Real Aiptasia-Eater for the Reef Tank

I am always a little wary of three species of anemone in the same tank, but the addition of an anemone will be a bit of a ways down the road.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and welcome to TRT!!!!!
Thank you for the welcome!

Looks like an okay fish list!
Thank you, it took 5 books to come up with the list, but I believe they should all be compatible. Although perhaps on the edge of too much bioload?

The anenomes will need high intensity lighting like metal halide an it is recomended that they be placed in a mature well established tank, like a year old.
I'm planning on getting a dual MH light fixture. Thinking of DIY if I can find some good plans.

With the crabs, (the hermits for the most part) they ar known to oportunistic feeders. They wil eat whtever they can. If they want a new shell thy wont hesitate to evict a snail, munch on him and steal th shell. That siad, this isnt a hard fast rule. Ive had good an ba crabs (in my tank!;)) so it can be a hit an miss thing. The emeralds are great IMO and are a great addition.
I'm planning on putting in at least a dozen extra shells of various sizes to hopefully prevent the slaughter :) Time will tell I guess.

Just not sure what the proper numbers for the snails/crabs are for a 125 gallon tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to TRT!

Along with what motorslave said, I would take the coral banded shrimp off the list as well. They are also opportunistic feeders and may start out nice when they are small, but go after fish and other inverts as they get bigger. Skunk cleaners and peppermints would be fine together.
You know, I was going to limit the coral banded to only one shrimp, but I am thinking of removing it entirely. They are an interesting species, but from what I am reading, probably not worth the trouble.

Are your plans to go with Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR) or are you wanting a full blown reef system? You need to be aware up front that nothing good in a reef happens fast. I would suggest you read the new bi-weekly discussion thread on cycling your new tank, it will help you a lot.
I'm planning on cycling with liverock/livesand, then adding the "clean-up crew", then adding the fish and corals.

So, for a bit it'll be FOWLR, then progress to a full mini-reef.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions out here, there are a bunch of great people with loads of experience that will steer you in the right direction.

Good luck with your new adventure. :)
Thank you! I've always been one to ask questions, sometimes even stupid ones :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome! This is a great place, and you'll learn a tone here.
Thank you! That's what it sure seems like, lots of great people here!

I like that you are taking the time now to think about a stocking list since you'll have a few months to really refine your thoughts and get lots of feedback from the folks here.
Well, my thoughts are that the main reason for having the tank is to create a home for the livestock. So, the first consideration (after choosing what size tank you want) is to the livestock. I mean, without that, you just have an expensive rectangle filled with water... :)

After doing the mods to your tank for the overflow (and closed loop system - CLS?!), curing your live rock and cycling the tank, you'll want to think about the clean-up crew CUC.
The types and number of the CUC are actually what I am going to be getting first just after cycling the tank with liverock/livesand. Just have to figure out how many of each I need.

I agree with shrimp comments above. IF you get peppermint shrimp, make sure they are Lysmata wurdemanni and not Rhynchocinetes durbanensis, R. uritai or L. californica (these guys are simetimes sold as peppermint shrimp, but the first two are not reef-safe and the last is not a tropical species).
Thanks for that information! I'll make sure I stick to only the wurdemanni!

I am always a little wary of three species of anemone in the same tank, but the addition of an anemone will be a bit of a ways down the road.

Keep us posted!
I was a little as well, but I figured with a 6' tank I can have plenty of separation between the three that they won't bother each other. As you said, that is quite a way off yet.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm planning on cycling with liverock/livesand, then adding the "clean-up crew", then adding the fish and corals.

So, for a bit it'll be FOWLR, then progress to a full mini-reef.
This is certainly a very common approach, but I'd suggest considering cycling, clean-up-crew (and then maybe a hardy algae-eater like the yellow tang), then hardy inverts (corals like flavias, mushrooms, leathers etc.), then (after the bioload has stabalized) add the fish.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I was a little as well, but I figured with a 6' tank I can have plenty of separation between the three that they won't bother each other. As you said, that is quite a way off yet.
Just don't expect the anemones (especially the BTA) to stay put--something about the best laid plans...lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just don't expect the anemones (especially the BTA) to stay put--something about the best laid plans...lol
Yeah, I'll expect them to live with 3 feet between them, but they will *ALL* want the exact same spot and fight over it. :rotflmao:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is certainly a very common approach, but I'd suggest considering cycling, clean-up-crew (and then maybe a hardy algae-eater like the yellow tang), then hardy inverts (corals like flavias, mushrooms, leathers etc.), then (after the bioload has stabalized) add the fish.
You know, I never considered that style of stocking. Makes sense though. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This article suggests guidlines for CUC snail numbers, but each case is always slightly different:

Best Snails for the Saltwater Tank - Four Snails Species for the Marine Aquarium Clean-Up Crew
And that site led to garf.org, and that site really give a lot of interesting things that I am now curious about. I like the sound of their "grunge". And their reef-cleaning packs sound rather interesting. Not to mention their "Bullet proof reef system". Mentions using the plenum that I've been really curious about. Haven't read anything really positive or negative about it. They seem to swear by it!

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Welcome to TRT

I've not used any of Garfs methods but I am under the impression the info is a bit dated, which is why you don't see it mentioned to much

·
HOW MUCH!Ok I will take 2
888 Posts
Welcome to TRT and good luck on the tank!

·
Registered
586 Posts
And that site led to garf.org, and that site really give a lot of interesting things that I am now curious about. I like the sound of their "grunge". And their reef-cleaning packs sound rather interesting. Not to mention their "Bullet proof reef system". Mentions using the plenum that I've been really curious about. Haven't read anything really positive or negative about it. They seem to swear by it!
IMO garf is a bit dated, but the more info the better in order to make an informed decision. I'm curious how you got to Garf.org from the article link...alas. Your tank will be great! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMO garf is a bit dated, but the more info the better in order to make an informed decision. I'm curious how you got to Garf.org from the article link...alas. Your tank will be great! Keep us posted.
Ohhh, it's simple ;) That site led me to do a google search on Trochus snails which I hadn't done a lot of research on. That search led me to a web site about cleaning crew snails which mentioned getting good snails at GARF. That statement led me to try and find what this GARF was. And THAT search lead me to garf.org. See, simple :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts