The Reef Tank banner

First Fragging and other pics

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Doug1 
#1 ·
Hi ho - I just fragged my gargantuan (spelling?) Xenia. I had never done this before, but it took over and nearly quadrupled in size since I bought it, so I decided to frag it and trade the frags into my LFS.

Here's a pic of the Xenia before fragging. The trunk on the right is just starting to creep toward the rock - the next day it was on it and then 2 more trunks migrated. Busy Xenia!

First - I took the Xenia out (after cutting loose the branches that had migrated to another rock) and put it in a plastic container. Then I began to cut it up - just like a big head of broccoli. I was amazed to see the Xenia continued to pulse no matter what happened!

First I cut individual 'trunks' but then worried that might be too severe, but it turns out I needn't have worried - each piece has done well

Then I took stretchy beading cord (I improvised) and wrapped it around a rock or shell and the Xenia. Tieing the cord was a pain - so I probably won't do that again, but it seems to have worked well overall.

Then I placed them all back in the tank - even a tiny frag that is the only one I plan to keep.

Here is a pic of a few frags after going back in the tank:

So far, so good - all 10 frags have done very well. I have 2 trunks left on the 'donor' Xenia, but I plan to trade all of them. My tank is just not big enough!

Here's a pic of my Xenia farm:

:dance:

Here are a few other pics -
One of my mandarins on my Galaxia - which is regenerating at an incredible rate (for those who remember, this was sold to me as live rock becasue no one knew it was live coral):

Here's my hungry plate coral eating

Here's my coco worm and it's barnacle pal eating:

Here's one of my favorites - make it bigger to see the colors pop!

Ciao - I am off to plant flowers and thank a close friend who just returned from Iraq for his service. Have a safe and happy Memorial Day!

Kiki

See less See more
#3 ·
Lookin' good....Conrats on your first frag...just be aware that other corals won't take be chopped up the same way...Xenia is tough stuff...I chop mine every which way when it gets too big and them attach them bits to rubble...even the parts where I only leave a tiny stub will regrow new "hands".

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice! I had heard they were hardy, which is why I didn't bug everyone on TRT before I tried fragging the Xenia :)

I can see how other corals are not the same - simply by virtue of their structure. I've been trying to read up on the varieties that I have to start learning more about what I can expect re: reproduction. Thanks again!

#11 ·
Here's my update - I took all the frags in today to my LFS. They were closed for the weekend to make floor renovations (talk about a huge job!) - so I was busy with the Xenia farm this weekend. My tank looks empty today in comparison :-(

I kept only one of the tiny frags for myself - I wonder how long it will take before it takes over my tank again?

Well that's all that's going on here by the East Greenwich Bay. Happy Wednesday everyone -

Kiki

#14 ·
Sorry - school is almost out and I've been busy :) We are going to discuss it today. They are friends - and I think I mentioned while they were laying new floors at the store, someone robbed their house. Some people really stink! Anyway, they are still moving things back in the store, so I stayed and helped to clean tanks, but did not discuss a trade for the frags.

However, while cleaning, I did see a bunch of neat new residents in the coral tanks: particularly a metalic green anchor coral and a redish colt coral....so I'm not sure yet. They are getting more in this week, so I may find something else.

Any recommendations?

#15 ·
Yes, sometimes people really do stink and that is very sad that they robbed their house. At least they were not home when it happened, as that might have had an even worse outcome.

My recommendation would be the Anchor or Hammer coral as the Colt coral will be just like your Xenia and drop babies all over your tank and take over as well.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

#16 ·
Yes, sometimes people really do stink and that is very sad that they robbed their house. At least they were not home when it happened, as that might have had an even worse outcome.

My recommendation would be the Anchor or Hammer coral as the Colt coral will be just like your Xenia and drop babies all over your tank and take over as well.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Ouch on robbery, glad no one was hurt tho
Anchors are nice, Colts will frag easily so its a nice trading stock coral
Seeing the new stuff that comes in is always fun, I used to hang out at LFS and helped on recieving day for store credit, it helps keep costs down :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.