The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the tank is doing really well and the corals that we have added (Clove Polyp and Turbinaria Peltata) are doing so well, my wife is chomping at the bit to add a fish to the tank. We want the same kinds of fish, but I just want to be careful about the order we add them in case one species is more territorial than the rest.

Here's a sample list of fish that we would love to have:

Purple Tang (will be lifelong ambition)
Flame Angel
Firefish Goby (I'd love to have a small pod of these guys)
Citron Goby (big cartoonish head)
Coral Beauty
Clown (don't have particular type in mind)
Blenny (not too particular. we've had a Lawnmower before that became a pet)
Copperband Butterfly
Bengai or PJ Cardinal

Granted, these aren't exact names and we're not planning on adding all these guys in the next few months. We're really into inverts and we'll stick to those for now, but I do want to add something that moves faster than my bluelegs.

What kind of fish made it to your tank first?

·
Registered
743 Posts
most angels will fight so i would go with one of the two and add them later in the tank

hmmm fire fish if memory serves me right they are a hereim fish so look to get a male and two females

dont now much about pj's but i would rather get bengai's but that personnel prefrence

i can never rember which butterfly fish is easy to keep so iam no help there

·
Registered
299 Posts
That's a great list of fish to add, shouldn't have any problems. Keep in mind that Copperband will nip at polyps if underfed. Also, if you plan on keeping clams, a Blenny and the Coral Beauty will nip at the mantle. My Lawnmower Blenny and Coral Beauty destroyed a Tridacna I had, the Maximus is doing great now, but then again the Lawnmower Blenny is gone, so that leads me to believe the Blenny was the one doing it. I'd go with the Coral over the Blenny. Hopefully someone else will pipe in and school us both. I started off with some mean a-- damsels, will never mix those with other my favorite fish again. I had 3 yellows that beat up on everyone in the tank and finally trapped them. Tank has been peaceful ever since. Good luck with everything.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
There is a good chance that both of the angels will nip at corals and clams. You also want to consider territory issues with two angels in a 75. Due to its size the PT will need to go sooner than later. Other than that great list.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
Got the goby, blenny, coral beauty, maroon clown and a royal gramma. All of them are working out great and are reef safe.

I had a coral beauty be a model citizen then he got a taste for softies after a couple of months and couldn't kick the habit. Dorf angels are 50/50/90. There is a 50-50 chance they will pick at your corals and 90 percent of the time you will get one that will.

·
Wrasseman!
1,835 Posts
here are the ones from your list i would say get
Firefish Goby (I'd love to have a small pod of these guys)
Citron Goby (big cartoonish head)
Coral Beauty or flame but just one
Clown
Blenny
Bengai or PJ Cardinal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts