The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first DIY fuge and was wondering what everyone thought on the drawing before I build it all. I am using the return water as water movement as an attempt to rid the display tank of the powerhead which are big and a eyesore.

Attachments

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
hmm..not quite following how it is all set up... no skimmer? deep sandbed in the sump... siphon break on the drain line... how are you getting the water from the display to the sump? Is the tank reef ready or are you using a HOB style overflow box?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of just using a normal siphon from the PVC piping with a siphon break in it if the power goes out then the siphion stops. No overflow box or anything like that. Not going to use a skimmer but was considering one at a later date. Not really using it so much for a sump as I am a refugium.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Unfortunately it is a flood waiting to happen.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Drill the tank or get an overflow:D

You can't match the siphon rate with how that is pictured with the pump, so you; either flood the tank or flood the sump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also if you don't mind could you explain what would happen if I set it up this way? I would like to know the in's and out's of the whole thing. Thanks.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I did... You'll put water on the floor;)

Many have tried and every one of them has failed to do what you pictured. Sorry...

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
So basicly the siphon needs to be able to stop and start on it's own?
Sort of, but it isn't that easy. The best way to describe it is exactly what an HOB over flow does. You can pick up a used u-tube overflow for under $50 if you shop around. The lifereef is the only one I'll use. Stay away from the c-channel overflows like the CPR..

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Googled the HOB and I see what you are talking about. How does everything else look?
It looks OK, but that kind of flow through a 10 gallon tank may cause some micro bubble issues. Hard to say until it is up and running. I kind of breaks the rules of 3-5 times the display volume through the sump.

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
you have to match the intake GPH to the export GPH a simple hose syphoning from the tank is not going to pull enough water out of the DT as the 600 PH is returning so in case, you will flood the DT and flood meaning water overflowing from your tank and vise versa....if the syphon is pulling more water then what the 600 ph is returning you will flood your fuge...the proper way to do this is to get the tank drilled and run pvc as a run off to the fuge or get a HOB overflow that is rated to intake as much water as your pump is going to export from the fuge back to the DT!

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
There are a lot of plans on this site for fuges. I built one for my 125 gallon that has space for LR, sand, macro and equipment area that includes sump skimmer. Works great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts