The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be getting our first Maxima this sat - I have been reading Knoop's book and searching the bd's on them.
Our tank have been up for over a 1.5yr and everything is doing fine - from rose's to softies, LPS and SPS's. I know we can house a clam and we have the lights for it. 2x 250w , 6500k Iwaski's and 4x URI actinics 160w for supplement.

I'm just not sure where to put him. Have thought of the middle, just off of center from one of the lights, the view would be great there is plenty of direct and indirect light, but the rose's have just split and are wondering a bit, and the frogspawn is getting larger. (no pix cheapo camera would take a fuzzzy picture)

The tank is a 100 aga -long and narrow (freshwater show) and there is a cleared area down front of rocks (just filled with corals) about 5" between the LR and the front glass and there is no m o r e room :rolleyes:

·
Registered
151 Posts
As short as your tank is and with those 250s I would think that the sand bed would be fine. I would however put a flat piece of LR under the clam so it has something to attach to.
AlienDomain

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with the others here, the sand bed sounds just perfect. That is great lighting and this new maxie. will be lovin' it. I would also place a flat type of rock or a half clam shell under it so it feels anchored in the sand bed.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Really, I moved mine since it was on a piece of flat slate with about a half inch of sand to a pure sand bed. I am worried though since I have noticed that I can see where it seems like it opens really, really wide.

Ray

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ray, do you mean like the clam is gapping?? Gapping is a bad sign and means the clam is not happy or is in some sort of stressing situation. Could something be bothering the clam?? Picking at it, nipping at it??? Has anything changed in your reef system?? Water quality?? Once a clam starts gapping you need to find out what is causing it asap cause a clam will go downhill fast. In fact once a clam starts showing signs it is in distress it most usually is already dead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.