The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first real attempt to get anything good with my Nikon Coolpix 700. The camera has no macro features that I can tell. So, the bristle worms I want to capture on film (digital) are just going to have to wait. For this picture, I used the sunny setting with no other changes. I probably should have used the flash. I adjusted the levels in Photoshop. Anybody care to critique?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
-critique-
Looks good. If the clown was out more toward the top or just in a better view it would be a great shot. Was the glass clean? There seems to be a haze or glow, it makes me think the glass was dirty. The tentacles out in front are out of focus, a larger F stop would give you a bigger field of view and make the whole anemone in focus, but you would have to use a slower shutter speed...

I like it tho :D
For your first atempt its great!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave for the comments. I'm not a camera person by any means. It's really my wife's camera which she uses mostly to capture my daughter growing up. If anybody has a camera similar to mine, tell me if it possible to change the F stop and shutter speed. I've searched through the camera menu and can't find the right setting. It might be called something else.

The photography part of reef keeping is harder than keeping the reef.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Im impressed!

You should see my first attempts. However I was not using any photoshot type help/enhancements. I downloaded the optimizer site recommended above but its harder to figure out than the camera!

Anyone care to tutor me on that one?

·
Registered
799 Posts
kram138 said:
If anybody has a camera similar to mine, tell me if it possible to change the F stop and shutter speed. I've searched through the camera menu and can't find the right setting. It might be called something else.
Well, not sure about your model of Coolpix ... but on mine there is an `auto' and a `manual' setting for which mode to take photos in. You have to use the manual setting to adjust the F-stop [aperture they call it].

If there is a Manual mode - either reply back or pm/email me and I'll go further [and get mine in hand ... most of the Coolpix are set up the same with similar buttons [different locations] and the same on-screen menus/command structure.

I'd be glad to help, though if you increase the F-stop/aperture you'll have a shorter shutter speed as Dave pointed out ... meaning that much water movement will possibly mess with the photo and more than likely you'll want a tripod. I use one every time, a little more a pain but then I know any weirdness is not me.

Let me know ... and great shot!
You're a quick learner.

mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.