The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So last night I was looking around the tank, and I saw two fire worms. One was fairly small the other, he was a good three inches, and that's what I could see of him. This is my first tank so as far as sizes go I have no idea if that is big or not (just hit the year mark a couple weeks ago). They are pretty long and skinny. I couldn't get a good picture so I tried finding one on google images... anyways, leave it? take it out? Also, if anyone knows how big a full grown fire worm is I would love to know.
Thanks!

This is the best picture I could find that looked like them. They did not have a lot of white pokey things on the side like I saw in most pictures...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
There is a difference from a common pink Bristle and a Fire worm, fireworms from the family Amphinomidae have hollow bristles that contain toxins, and are uncommon find in a reef tank. Sounds like you have the regular plane Jane bristle worm. They are scavengers, and despite what you may hear about malicious behavior and them being bad its just a crappy myth.. Their fine, unless you just don't want them around.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try tonight. They hide under my acropora so its really hard to see them, much less see them out. But yeah I'll try for a picture tonight. Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just add to it, if you see 2 , you most likely have 20+. they will live in your rock and in the substrate.

I believe you are right. Last night I was mounting a frag on a tiny rock on the sand... Picked the rock up and BAM there was one under it. pretty cool I guess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts